32 bit Vista on 64 bit machine

Old May 28th 08, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
3putt in coastal SC

Default 32 bit Vista on 64 bit machine

I've just purchased a new computer and the system is telling me that Vista
OS is the 32 bit version on a MD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4400+. Was the
manufacturer cutting corners by not installing the 64 bit Vista? And does
this present any problems on system performance?

Old May 28th 08, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
philo

"3putt in coastal SC" wrote in message
I've just purchased a new computer and the system is telling me that Vista
OS is the 32 bit version on a MD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4400+. Was the
manufacturer cutting corners by not installing the 64 bit Vista? And does
this present any problems on system performance?

The driver base for the 32bit version of Vista is better
so the mfg was probably doing you a favor.

Unless you use applications that require over 4 gigs of RAM...
it's not likely to hurt your performance by any significant amount.

Old May 28th 08, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Dustin Harper

No, it does nothing as far as performance. Yes, you have a 64 bit capable
CPU, but it makes little difference on whether or not you put the 32 or 64
bit version of Windows on it. One thing that 64 bit does do, is allow you to
install and use more than ~3.2 GB of physical RAM. If you have more than
that, then you may want to jump on 64 bit. There are other issues with 64
bit, as well (drivers, software compatiblities, etc.), that may hamper some
users from upgrading to 64 bit. But, it isn't really a performance upgrade
at this time.

--

Dustin Harper

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

Old May 28th 08, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ferrisits[_2_]

There is no problem in having 32 bit Operating System on a computer that
is capable of supporting the 64 Bit Operating System. This is not going
to effect the performance of the computer. There computer is capable of
supporting the 64 bit Operating System, so in future in case you wish to
install 64 bit Operting System you may install. The reason why
manufacturers install 32 bit Operating System over a 64 Bit Operating
System is to give the customer the choice. So do not worry there will be
no change in the performance of the computer.

--
ferrisits
Old May 29th 08, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mick Murphy

All OEM computer manufacturers sell 32bit as default, unless you ask for 64bit
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia