ram ..please help

Old June 5th 08, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dennis

Default ram ..please help

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
Not with Windows clients. The only thing PAE does in 32bit clients is
provide some support for certain types of device driver issues. Please see
https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/syste...AE/PAEdrv.mspx

Yes, I still know that. And still, it is not because it is a "32-bit
OS", because they can address more than 4GB, but because Microsoft
doesn't want to. They could, if they wanted.
Old June 5th 08, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

It is not mathematically possible to address more than 4GB with a 32bit
addressing scheme. PAE was implemented only for Server editions, beginning
with Server 2000 Advanced Server, because those editions of Windows had a
critical need for the additional address space at a time when 64bit Server
editions were not yet ready. It was not necessary to make any decision
about the 32bit clients. MS subsequently met the need to provide a
workstation OS that could address more than 4GB with XP Pro x64 for both
IA64 and x86_x64 systems.

"dennis" wrote in message
Colin Barnhorst wrote:
Read the table I linked. No, MS did not make a decision not to support
more than 4GB in Vista. No 32bit Windows clients support more than 4GB,
XP included. Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and Windows Home
Server don't either. Higher 32bit editions of Windows 2003 and 2008 do
so through PAE.

I know that only a few of their editions supports more than 4GB, and that
a decision they made. It is not because it is a "32-bit OS"

Old June 5th 08, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dennis

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
It is not mathematically possible to address more than 4GB with a 32bit
addressing scheme. PAE was implemented only for Server editions,
beginning with Server 2000 Advanced Server, because those editions of
Windows had a critical need for the additional address space at a time
when 64bit Server editions were not yet ready. It was not necessary to
make any decision about the 32bit clients. MS subsequently met the need
to provide a workstation OS that could address more than 4GB with XP Pro
x64 for both IA64 and x86_x64 systems.

Mathematically? The point with PAE is to extend the number of bits the
OS can use to address physical memory. So in PAE mode the OS can address
more than 4GB.
Old June 5th 08, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dennis

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
addressing scheme. PAE was implemented only for Server editions,

PAE has always been implemented. Beginning from XP/SP2 they limitited it
further, so it was no longer "4GB RAM plus MMIO" but "4GB of total
address space".

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/pae_os.mspx
Old June 5th 08, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 00:50:19 +0200, dennis wrote:

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
Not with Windows clients. The only thing PAE does in 32bit clients is
provide some support for certain types of device driver issues. Please see
https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/syste...AE/PAEdrv.mspx

Yes, I still know that. And still, it is not because it is a "32-bit
OS", because they can address more than 4GB, but because Microsoft
doesn't want to. They could, if they wanted.

Quit before Colin flattens you like a stomped bug.

You're not gonna win this one.

Old June 6th 08, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Smith

A 32-bit system can only address 4GB, by the time other hardware is included
it'll be even less. You'd need to move to a 64-bit system, such as Windows
Vista x64.

Detailed explanation here, with pretty pictures:

http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/2008/0...ng-more-than-4

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"veryunhappy" wrote in message

hi there i have just installed 2x2gb memory cards to go with my other
2x2gb cards making a total of 8gb of ram as that is what my mother board
can take
i have checked bios start up menu and the ram is in as it is saying i
have 8196mb of ram but when i go onto base index score to check for
hardware the extra ram is not showing as the new hardware is not being
detected ?????why is this
does any body know how i get it to show
os is vista home prem 32 bit

Old June 6th 08, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Smith

"dennis" wrote in message

Mathematically? The point with PAE is to extend the number of bits the OS
can use to address physical memory. So in PAE mode the OS can address more
than 4GB.

The trouble is in the real world PAE, and other extension "hacks" would
often crash systems because hardware manufacturers drivers weren't written
to support it.

As such it was phased out in favour of just using 64-bit. If PAE could be
enabled on a consumer OS, the system wouldn't work properly due to lack of
driver support.

Old June 6th 08, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Which clearly states what I have been trying to tell you:
"Although support for PAE memory is typically associated with support for
more than 4 GB of RAM, PAE can be enabled on Windows XP SP2, Windows Server
2003, and later 32-bit versions of Windows to support hardware-enforced Data
Execution Prevention (DEP)."

It is not enabled in XP SP2 and later Windows clients for the purpose of
supporting more than 4GB of ram. As the tables I have been linking for you
clearly state, Windows clients like XP cannot under any circumstances
support more than 4GB of memory. As the article at
https://www.microsoft.com/whdc/syste...AE/PAEdrv.mspx
says, "* Total physical address space is limited to 4 GB on these versions
of Windows."

Old June 6th 08, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Congrats to Yeovil Town in dodging the relegation bullet in League 1 this
year. Do you go and see them play?