Vista Won't Let Me Create XP-Style Directory Tree for Old Template Files

Old June 10th 08, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Michael Wyland

Default Vista Won't Let Me Create XP-Style Directory Tree for Old Template Files

To all:

I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Vista SP1. I have many years of WP
documents using the "Image on Disk" feature to create my company's
stationery on the fly without having to store a copy of the logo & graphics
in each document. I used WP's default directory structure when storing the
images and documents.

Under Vista, it appears to be impossible to create the XP-style directory
location for WP 12 or WP X4 to find the graphics.

Has anyone discovered a workaround for this problem under Vista?

Thanks!

Old June 10th 08, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Michael Wyland" wrote in message
news
To all:

I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Vista SP1. I have many years of WP
documents using the "Image on Disk" feature to create my company's
stationery on the fly without having to store a copy of the logo &
graphics
in each document. I used WP's default directory structure when storing
the
images and documents.

Under Vista, it appears to be impossible to create the XP-style directory
location for WP 12 or WP X4 to find the graphics.

Has anyone discovered a workaround for this problem under Vista?

Thanks!

There's one MVP I know of that's a WP user so you may get a response. I
suggest that you also take this to the WordPerfectX3 or WordPerfect X4
newsgroup on Corel's newsserver cnews.corel.com.

Old June 10th 08, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Michael Wyland

Pete:

I've posted to the Corel WP X4 newsgroup (I'm a former C_TECH volunteer).
The issue isn't really a WP one, though. The problem is that Vista won't
let me create certain directories that were standard under XP, such as
C:\documents and settings\owner\my documents.

Michael Wyland

Old June 11th 08, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Michael Wyland" wrote in message
Pete:

I've posted to the Corel WP X4 newsgroup (I'm a former C_TECH volunteer).
The issue isn't really a WP one, though. The problem is that Vista won't
let me create certain directories that were standard under XP, such as
C:\documents and settings\owner\my documents.

Michael Wyland

The reason I suggested the Corel newsgroups is that perhaps someone there
may have a solution/workaround. I suspect that the mention of WP in the
message might cause most people to just continue on to the next thread. Not
that I'm a heavy WP user (I use it at home, I use MS Office at work where I
have no choice), I have little word processing to do at home where I use WP
but how long ago were you a C_TECH volunteer? I don't recall "running in to
you" in the newsgroups but maybe we did. I do remember Deborah Earle.
Extremely knowledgable and nice lady.

Old June 11th 08, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
retroman

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:09:23 -0500, "Michael Wyland"
wrote:

I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Vista SP1. I have many years of WP
documents using the "Image on Disk" feature to create my company's
stationery on the fly without having to store a copy of the logo & graphics
in each document. I used WP's default directory structure when storing the
images and documents.

Under Vista, it appears to be impossible to create the XP-style directory
location for WP 12 or WP X4 to find the graphics.

Has anyone discovered a workaround for this problem under Vista?

Michael,

Vista supplies a junction for C:\Documents and Settings which points to \username\.
Within that folder is the junction My Documents which points to Vista's Documents
folder. So have you tried simply copying your old graphics sub folder to your Vista
Documents folder, in effect completing the old path? If the username is the same in
Vista as it was in XP, maybe WP will find your graphics. It's a long shot but easy
to try.

There is more info on junctions on the Web, for example:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

Doug M. in NJ
Old June 12th 08, 02:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Michael Wyland

"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
[...]

I was the original WP BBS volunteer support person in the early 1990s. I
became part of a group of WP volunteer support people on CompuServe who
later migrated with WP to Novell and then to Corel in the mid- to late
1990s.

WP, and later Novell, brought us all into Utah once a year, and Corel had us
come to Ottawa for face-to-face time, product briefings from developers,
etc. Novell even did a Bahamas cruise for all us "Netwire" folks back in
1995. I still have the T-shirt!

I stopped doing volunteer support as the questions transitioned from issues
of features, functionality, and program error messages to issues of
networkng (especially Novell networking) issues and operating system-related
issues (like this thread).

Old June 12th 08, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Pete Stavrakoglou

[...]

That's some history you have with the product and companies. BTW, any
t-shirt that I would have from 1995 wouldn't fit me now.