Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Domain Account Credentials to a Workgroup Process (Vista Business)

Old June 10th 08, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Jack Wishbone

Default Domain Account Credentials to a Workgroup Process (Vista Business)

The setup:

Laptop: Vista Business, in a WORKGROUP, and logging in with an account with
administrative privledges.

Server: 2003 AD Server, in a domain, i.e. "PSM"

I want to run a local service on Vista machine using a domain account.

Tried:

1) Putting in domain creds (PSM\account1) in "log on" tab in service
properties. This fails with a "The account name is invalid or does not
exist..." error.

2) Browsing a different "Location" from the same tab. I can't browse
anything other than the local machine... PSM doesn't even show up, even
though we're on the same subnet and I can browse computer names and shares.

3) Tried tossing the domain account into the local admins group. Once
again, I can't browse anything other than the local machine.

No, I can't really try to trick the auth providers by using the same account
name and same workgroup name as my server accounts.

"What are you trying to do?"

Okay: I need to connect multiple non-domain laptops to a file server share,
using a single AD account that is hidden from the local user. I need the
interaction between laptop and server to happen, regardless of the physical
network.

I'm completely bald now, from pulling out all my hair...

-JW

Old June 11th 08, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Jack Wishbone

"Mike Brannigan" Mike.Brannigan@localhost wrote in message
"Jack Wishbone" wrote in message
[...]

Is the laptop actually configured correctly to be able to locate domain
controllers for authentication request etc? Such as via WINS or DNS
entries enabling it to locate a DC in the domain you are specifying to
authenticate the account you wish to use as the service account?

--

Mike Brannigan

Yes, I can manually log in to the file server share using Start - Run -
UNC path...