Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Need to do a Factory Restore but lost all passwords so blocked

Old June 21st 08, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Miss Grunge

Default Need to do a Factory Restore but lost all passwords so blocked

I need to do a Factory Restore of my laptop. I can't get to the Repair Your
computer option because I can't even login. The username that comes up is
not the one I use. There are 3 choices of usernames, Guest, Administrator,
and the 'name'. I tried my password, which I was sure was right (but clearly
isn't) into all three accounts and it is wrong. I used the 'help' advice to
change one of the accounts passwords, and now I'm getting 'acount disabled'
when I try to get in to do the factory reboot. I can't get in!

I am the only person who uses my computer. I don't need more than one
account. Plse, can someone hlp me break into the thing so that I can do the
Factory Restore, and then just have a nice, simple, ONE account??
Thanks.
Vista Basic. Dell laptop.
Old June 22nd 08, 06:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Mick Murphy

Make a bootable CD from the above link, and print out instructions on how to
use!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old June 22nd 08, 06:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Mick Murphy

You can do a factory Recovery(but losing all your data and programs that you
have installed, without logging in and taking it back to how you bought it).
Right at Startup on the Bios screen, there will be a F key to press to start
Factory recovery.
If you can not see which Key, check with computer manufacturer website, or
by phone.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old June 23rd 08, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Miss Grunge

Got it with the restart dropdown. I thought 'restart' meant the same as it
does in earlier editions of windows, ie, turn off, then on again. Seems not.

All's well, etc.

Old August 3rd 08, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Nytwhatevr

I have the same problem but I don't understand your reply. I have no clue
where the "Bios screen" is. I am selling this computer and have to wipe out
everything I put on it. I am also asked for an administrator password, which
I have no clue. I don't know what you mean by Startup on the Bios screen--and
F key. I'm really not as computer illiterate and this post seems. But, I
really need help ASAP.

Old August 4th 08, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
oscar

Basic input/output system (BIOS) is a program built into personal computers
that starts the operating system when you turn on your computer. It is also
referred to as system firmware. BIOS is part of the hardware of your
computer and is separate from Windows Vista

Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. Usually, you must press
a key (such as F2, F12, DEL, ESC) or a key combination immediately after you
turn on your computer but before Windows starts. For more information, check
the information that came with your computer or go to the computer
manufacturer's website.

Warning
a.. Be careful when changing BIOS settings. The BIOS interface is designed
for advanced users, and it's possible to change a setting that could prevent
your computer from starting correctly.

If you are unfamiliar with BIOS, it would be best to contact your computer
manufacturer for assistance.

--
oscar

"Right click is a good friend..."