Extra Vista Folder Icons ??

Old December 7th 06, 07:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Synapse Syndrome

Default Extra Vista Folder Icons ??

With XP I have a collection of extra folder icons to organise my stuff.
They include coloured icons as well as lot of different graphical ones.

e.g.
http://www.iconaholic.com/images/dow...s-previews.jpg

I was wondering if anybody has made scalable Vista folder icons yet?

Cheers

ss.

Old December 7th 06, 08:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Chad Harris

I'm sure many of the 3rd party icon makers are making icons and those are
available via search engines.

However, Vista does have a number of new .dll folders in :\Windows System32
that have new icons, and you have to try them one by one or else use one of
the icon extractors. I prefer to try them one by one and list them in
notepad or an email to myself.

I can extract any of them manually and I don't miss them if I check every
..dll, .exe and zip file and program folders on every possible drive and
directory and folder list including in and out of Windows. It's not a
quesiton of don't have to, it's a question of tapping every source for the
most icons and variety.

You can sub any icon that comes with Vista, and there are about 2500 or
more--or any icon that comes
with any downloaded 3rd party program or any MSFT program like Office.

And of course the web applying favicon.ico to a url is an endless source for
an icon collection.

There are all kinds of 3rd party free icon harvesters, but I much prefer
to do this manually either drawing from icons within Vista or you can make
an icon folder as well by simply creating a folder, then going to
urls and adding favicon.ico to the url after a / . Not every site will have
them. Sometimes you'll see the favicon at the upper left corner of the
window, but it won't drag to the desktop so you do a suspender number or
pull it from the top left extreme corner of the window and let it snap back
2-3 times and then you can pull it from that same location to the desktop.
Then you must rename the favicon and give it a h ome, i.e. you have to tuck
it into that favicons folder (call it anything you like) Icons or whatever
so that it will not revert back to a generic small "e" when you delete TIFs
or when you reboot.

Good luck,

CH

Old December 7th 06, 09:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Synapse Syndrome

"Chad Harris" msftneedstogetoutvistainfo.net wrote in message
[...]

Cheers Chad

I have used an earlier version of Axialis IconWorkshop to browse through
..dll and .exe files in XP. It makes it very easy, and you can easily
extract them.

http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/

But what I am looking for are just folder icons like the ones you see in
your Users directory, and coloured folders, that match with the standard
folder icons. I doubt that I'll find any of these within the OS files that
are fully scalable 256x256 .png icons. Favicons would never have the larger
images contained in them either, as they would take too long to download.

All I have found is this pack, which costs $349! I suppose they are meant
for program developer's use. http://www.fasticon.com/evistafull.html

This site might have some soon. http://interfacelift.com/icons-win/

ss.

Old December 7th 06, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Synapse Syndrome

[...]

I asked some people in a Vista IRC channel earlier and somebody showed me
this set. These are good, but I can only find a few of them useful. Just
having some plain ones in different colours would be useful.

http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/en.id.1026.htm

ss.

Old December 7th 06, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David Wright

Those are nice! Too bad there aren't more of them to choose from.
Old December 7th 06, 11:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David Wright

IMO, the new Windows Media Player Icon, with it's Orange and Blue colour
scheme, would be a nice one to have a replacement for. Again, imo, that
colour scheme just doesn't work well with the rest of the Vista look.
Old December 7th 06, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jeff

David,
I TOTALLY agree,
whoever was responsible for that ABOMINATION, should be fired!
or promoted!,
because it does follow a basic tenet of advertising-
get people to remember it.
LOL
even if it is UGLY,
ya do notice it.
P.S.
if ya find a suitable,scalable replacement, please post it.

Jeff

Old December 9th 06, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Fatec

Browse to www.deviantart.com/. and type in "Vista icons" in the search box.
You will find a virtual treasure trove of icons and PNGs.

Old December 10th 06, 12:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Synapse Syndrome

"Fatec" wrote in message
Browse to www.deviantart.com/. and type in "Vista icons" in the search
box.
You will find a virtual treasure trove of icons and PNGs.

Thanks. I've even got a profile on that site and I never thought to look
there. I found a couple of good folder icon packs there.

Most of the results are actually Vista icons for XP, and aren't in
..png/256x256 format. But there are a couple of useful folder icon sets.
Annoyingly, a lot of people are making folders coloured as virtual folders
instead of normal yellow folders.

ss.

Old December 10th 06, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Fatec

Ok. You can also go to Deviantart.com, and search for PNGS. Then go to the
PNG Factory (Google the exact URL...I forgot!)..they have TONS of high
resolution PNGS in 256 format that can be converted to icons.