Video Card Advice Please

Old June 27th 08, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

Default Video Card Advice Please

I have a Pavilion a6460a
It appears to have a Geforce 8500 GT 512mb Video card.

512 mb GDDR2 memory
I/O Ports HDMI, Dual Link DVI, S Video

There is no Analog connection.
I need to run two monitors, 1 digital and 1 analog.

Will the Dual Link DVI with some kind of an adaptor run these two monitors?
1 NO?
2 Inadvisable? (I don't know what "Dual Link means")
3 I need to change my video card

Mickey
Old June 28th 08, 12:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

Mickey Mouse wrote:
I have a Pavilion a6460a
It appears to have a Geforce 8500 GT 512mb Video card.

512 mb GDDR2 memory
I/O Ports HDMI, Dual Link DVI, S Video

There is no Analog connection.
I need to run two monitors, 1 digital and 1 analog.

Will the Dual Link DVI with some kind of an adaptor run these two monitors?
1 NO?
2 Inadvisable? (I don't know what "Dual Link means")
3 I need to change my video card

Mickey

Should work...

http://www.google.com/products/catal...39246170648018
Old June 28th 08, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

I can't believe that your PC card did not come with PC monitor standard
analog VGA capability in addition to analog S-video capability.
Your card probably has a DVI-I connector and should have come with a DVI-I
to VGA connector like my 8500GT card did.
Contact HP support for assistance

Old June 28th 08, 01:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

Hello curious,
Well I'm just as surprised and curious as you.
They had a demo model on the shelf at the store (Harvey Norman) and they had
an analog
monitor plugged into it using an adaptor. (An adaptor which was in the box
my system came in) that I can use my analog monitor with. However, I have
two monitors the other is DVI but looking on the back of my computer at the
Graphic card connections I only have the DVI connection, HDMI & S-Video.
There appears to be an analog connection on the motherboard but HP have a
plastic cap over it held with two screws.
Hp don't say much in the specs other than what I have already posted.
After I post this I'm going to open up the system and get the model number
off the card itself and see if I can Google anything.

Mickey

Old June 28th 08, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

If your card only has one DVI-I connector on it then you cannot support both
the DVI connection and the VGA connection using the adapter.
It may be possible to support both the onboard VGA connector as primary and
they add on boards DVI connector as secondary concurrently and you would
have to contact HP support to find out if this is possible

Old June 28th 08, 04:27 AM
Orangebudge Orangebudge is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
I can't believe that your PC card did not come with PC monitor standard
analog VGA capability in addition to analog S-video capability.
Your card probably has a DVI-I connector and should have come with a DVI-I
to VGA connector like my 8500GT card did.
Contact HP support for assistance
"Mickey Mouse" wrote in message
I have a Pavilion a6460a
It appears to have a Geforce 8500 GT 512mb Video card.

512 mb GDDR2 memory
I/O Ports HDMI, Dual Link DVI, S Video

There is no Analog connection.
I need to run two monitors, 1 digital and 1 analog.

Will the Dual Link DVI with some kind of an adaptor run these two
monitors?
1 NO?
2 Inadvisable? (I don't know what "Dual Link means")
3 I need to change my video card

Mickey

The card came with his PC from what i read.... So it wouldnt come with the VGA to DVI Adaptor...

When i baught the 8500gt when it came out my version have dual DVI's with 2 dvi to vga adaptors. So ya you can dual link them, I did it with S-video and dvi. also a dvi monitor with a vga monitor, iv tried it all ways possible.

If it didnt come with one VGA and one DVI then HP Has theyre own version of the card with the HDMI and DVI. So you most likly would need a new video card, it costs 50 bux for a 8500 GT but whats recomended if your a gamer/video designer of anykind, then its hell a recommended to buy your self the 9800 or 9600 if your short on the cash. Id buy the 9800dual video card if i knew it were coming out, but i ended up buying a crappy ass 8800 gt superclocked.

Last edited by Orangebudge : June 28th 08 at 04:32 AM.
Old June 28th 08, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

Ok. So what I'm getting from all these replies is.....
With only one DVI connection on my graphics an NO analog connection I can
only use
one monitor, either the Digital monitor OR the Analog monitor (with adaptor)
but
Not both. Ok, so it looks like changing my card.
I gratefully thank all for taking time out to help me!
As I mainly do graphics I'm think about the...
Palit GeForce Super 1Gb PCIE 540/800 Mhz DDR2 128bit 16X
or the GeForce 8600GT Super PCIE 540/1400Mhz 512mb 128 bit
Both are in my price range of about $100Aus.
Any thoughts?

Mickey

Old June 28th 08, 07:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bender

HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI. It has an additional capability
for 8 channel audio.
You should be able to use an adaptor on the DVI and the HDMI to convert to
analog (vga). My card has two dual link DVI outputs. I have an adaptor that
lets me plug in a VGA (analog) cable and use it, which I am doing now for my
second monitor.
You can use an adaptor to convert HDMI to DVI, though if the HDMI includes
audio, that part of the interface will not be used. You could then use an
DVI to VGA adaptor on the HDMI to DVI adaptor to convert to VGA. Unless you
can find a HDMI to VGA adaptor.

Old June 28th 08, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

Thanks Bernder, interesting suggestion.

I'll try to find a HDMI to DVI converter, I already have a DVI to analog
converter
and I'll use both for my second monitor. I don't require sound out of my
second monitor.
This has been such a hassle, I never heard of a graphic card without an
analog input.
This will work? I Hope!

Mickey

Old June 28th 08, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

No it won't since it still uses a DVI connector to your card so you can't
use the VGA adapter.