Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista's boot time suddenly slow

Old November 19th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Stu Davis

Default Vista's boot time suddenly slow

Vista is a real slowpoke if you start it from scratch. Have you tried
"Hibernate" for your shutdown procedure? I find this really speeds things up
when booting up in the morning.

Stu Davis

"TheFabledCheese" wrote in message

I checked my Event Viewer, and every single entry is either critical,
error, or warning. I get critical when windows starts up or shuts down,
and errors when it goes into standby. I checked some of the entries for
warning, and one said "LogonUI.exe responded slower than expected."

Any ideas on what could potentially fix this?

All help is appreciated, cause when I start windows after turning it
off, it takes about 3 min to start Windows Explorer and the desktop.
I've been looking for a while, and I haven't really found a solution
that worked. It's incredibly frustrating, particularly after installing
something that needs to reboot.

I'm pretty sure it's not my hardwa Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, ATI
Radeon HD 3870 X2, ASUS Maximus Formula, 4GB GSkill RAM, Sythe Katana 2
cooling on CPU.

--
TheFabledCheese

Old November 19th 08, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kayman[_5_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:40:40 -0600, TheFabledCheese wrote:

I checked my Event Viewer, and every single entry is either critical,
error, or warning. I get critical when windows starts up or shuts down,
and errors when it goes into standby. I checked some of the entries for
warning, and one said "LogonUI.exe responded slower than expected."

Any ideas on what could potentially fix this?

All help is appreciated, cause when I start windows after turning it
off, it takes about 3 min to start Windows Explorer and the desktop.
I've been looking for a while, and I haven't really found a solution
that worked. It's incredibly frustrating, particularly after installing
something that needs to reboot.

I'm pretty sure it's not my hardwa Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, ATI
Radeon HD 3870 X2, ASUS Maximus Formula, 4GB GSkill RAM, Sythe Katana 2
cooling on CPU.

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click Start==Run... then type (or copy/paste) "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out
quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK' button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...'button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete files
and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Delete files using Disk Cleanup
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and/or--
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and/or--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/or--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

NOTE:
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® and the free version of
Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer.
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is cleaned you are
supposed to remove these tools from your operating system.
K/AVPTool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable self-defense' must be
unchecked!

The free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an update
feature, keep them installed in addtion to your resident AV/A-S
applications and scan frequently.

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck
Old November 21st 08, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
TheFabledCheese

Thanks a lot Kayman. I went through what you suggested and my vista runs
about ten billion times faster

--
TheFabledCheese
Old November 21st 08, 06:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kayman[_5_]

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:28:27 -0600, TheFabledCheese wrote:

Thanks a lot Kayman. I went through what you suggested and my vista runs
about ten billion times faster

Good to hear.
Now, continue to practice safe hex, clean and scan your operating system
frequently.
This application may assist as well:
CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
The toolbar offered prior installation is not required!
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).
If you wish, click 'Options' button the 'Settings' [check] 'Run CCleaner
when the computer starts'.
Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Vista or XP
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...n-vista-or-xp/

Good luck