Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

whats up with Windows Live Hot Mail?

Old August 2nd 08, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
LeftFoot

Default whats up with Windows Live Hot Mail?

Hi, anna.

This forum is for discussion of Vista Administration Accounts and Passwords,
but not for password issues with Hotmail. You might have better luck getting
help from experts on Hotmail by trying to find some place where issues with
browser-based e-mail are discussed. If you're using Outlook to get your
Hotmail, then you'd want to post in the Outlook general discussion area, I
think.

Here's what little help I might be able to provide.

I guess it's possible that the particular location for your accounts on the
servers is having problems, but I doubt it. I haven't been having any trouble
with them, and I use them very heavily.

If I were you I'd try to use the accounts using a browser on a DIFFERENT
computer. By all means try to make it a trusted computer, and make sure that
your user name and password don't get saved on it. If you still get a wrong
password error trying to get to the account from a different computer, then
you need to get in touch with the tech support people at Hotmail right away,
because that possibly means that your accounts have been compromised and are
being used by someone else.

If you are able to get on the accounts from the trusted other system, then
you've got some troubleshooting to do on your own system. It's possible that
you may have a problem with malware, or that there's just some tiny thing
that's wrong in your setup.

Had you just installed some additional software immediately before this
trouble started?

"anna" wrote:

I haven't been able to log into my hotmail accounts for a few days. Is
there a known problem or maintinance on those sites? The problem is it
doesn't recognize my password on two different accounts. I have followed
the setup to assure my Vista IE will accept cookies. [It was already setup
to accpet cookies anyway] I have also dumped cookies and Internet cache,
rebooted and still says wrong password or email address, try again... and
again and again and again.

--
Firewire

Old August 3rd 08, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Oscar

Try this...

Go he

https://account.live.com/HelpCentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Reset your password
If you forget your password, you must reset it before you can sign in to
Windows Live again. You can reset your password by sending yourself a
password reset e-mail message or by providing location information and
answering your secret question.

To reset your password by requesting a password reset e-mail:
On any Windows Live website or service sign-in page, click Forgot your
password.
Enter your Windows Live ID, type the characters you see in the Picture box,
and then click Continue.
Select Send password reset instructions to me in e-mail.
In the list, select the e-mail address where you want the password reset
e-mail to be sent, and then click Continue.
On the confirmation page, click OK.
When you receive the password reset e-mail, click the link in the e-mail to
reset your password, and then follow the online instructions...............

--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

"anna" wrote:

I had a little problem with my wireless connection so used the HP secure
wireless software [on board my new Vista HP machine] Making a secure
wireless connection I suppose could have tightened up security elsewhere.

I can login to Windows Live, rather my zone.msn.com setup will accept the
same email and password that I have setup for hotmail. It is still there at
least. Do you have a clue where to look at adjusting the security setup for
the wireless connection? I have it setup for home connection not a public
connect. I can connect just fine to my web server with an FTP program.
That was a problem when I had my connection only a public connection. I am
told nothing gets through into a public setup.

I have followed the allow cookies and third party cookies under the help
link at the login site. I added the login address http://login.live.com
and the hotmail address to the trusted zone. any other suggestions?

BTW, where does one go to get support for not being able to login to the
hotmail login?

--
@nna

Old August 3rd 08, 11:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
LeftFoot

No, the use of a wireless connection utility, no matter how badly written,
can't cause your password to be rejected, in an of itself. I will only say
that it is disturbing that your wireless connection didn't work properly
using the built-in controls in Vista. I have never, ever seen a wireless
suplicant / client made by a third party that was better than the Windows
version -- at least not since WinXP SP2. (You HAD to have a third party
supplicant in Windows 2000.)

I'm not understanding your account of the connections issues you've had with
respect to Public vs. Private settings. It is okay for you to use Private
settings in Vista ONLY if you are behind a router with address translation
and stateful packet inspection. I would imagine that, if you do not have a
separate router, you may have a combination broadband modem / router. If
there is no router involved, and if you have your network settings in Private
mode, you are sharing any file shares / printers / whatever to the Internet.
NOT a good thing. (May I assume that there is no third party "security suite"
(Symantec / Norton, McAfee) involved?)

I keep my hotmail / live login synchronized. I'm not sure you can
UNsynchronize them these days. Oscar may well have steered you in the right
direction here. You can try the password reset, but by all means contact
technical support at Hotmail if the reset doesn't work. It's time to be in
touch with a human on the support team.

Old August 3rd 08, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Anna

"LeftFoot" wrote in message
news
No, the use of a wireless connection utility, no matter how badly written,
can't cause your password to be rejected, in an of itself. I will only say

snip
[...]

It definitely is my Vista computer that is causing me to not be able to
login to my Windows Live hotmail. I logged in with no problem from my XP
[sp2] desktop computer. I followed the cookie enabling setup and put the
live zone in my trusted sites. It went from not recognizing my password
[and looping the "either the password of login is wrong" error message, to
clicking on login and having 10 popup connection windows opening in a cycle
I can't stop until it is finished.

Ok, it is a vista setting, and it is not the HP auto wireless connection
tool. So what threw my computer into this unable to log into my hotmail
account? My secure setting is on the default medium setup.

I was afraid to reset my account becasue if I can't get in with my known
password, and it works fine on another computer, I could really screw things
up. I know now it is not a hijack.

I will try to find where to contact hotmail support.

--
@nna

Old August 3rd 08, 02:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
LeftFoot

I could be wrong, but I know of no Vista setting, per se, that would do this.

Please let us know what you learn from the troubleshooting process with
Hotmail support.

Good luck!

"anna" wrote:

news

Old August 3rd 08, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Anna

"LeftFoot" wrote in message
I could be wrong, but I know of no Vista setting, per se, that would do
this.

Please let us know what you learn from the troubleshooting process with
Hotmail support.

Good luck!

I resolved it by something I did. Lord only know what did it. I used
windows Safari browser to login to my hotmail accounts using this vista
machine. I set both addresses to save the login to this computer. [I have 4
browsers on board for some web page work that I do.] At the same time I
reset all settings in IE to default and removed the hotmail address and
live. address from the safe zone.

I logged in automatically just by typing in www.hotmail.com in IE browser.
I must have satisfied something in IE.

Thanks for talking me through this and making me think about what I can do.
I know I posted to the wrong NG, but it helped to not just delete my
question like other MS groups have done when in the wrong group.

@nna

Old August 3rd 08, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
LeftFoot

Hi, Anna!

I'm delighted to hear that you fixed the problem.

Browsers these days (and other software, too) are so complex that the best
solution sometimes is just to wipe the slate clean and reconfigure.

I find it interesting that, even though I almost exclusively use Outlook for
grabbing my messages from Hotmail, it, too, gets told that it is using the
wrong password on occasion. I just click the little remember password
checkbox and submit the request again, and I get my mail on the second try.

I'm glad no one deleted your message from this newsgroup before you could
find a solution. I understand that the mods have to try to keep their groups
on topic, but I'd still rather just see folks get help when they need it. I
only mentioned that this was the "wrong" newsgroup because I was thinking you
might find more expert advice in another forum -- though, now that I think of
it, I'm not sure where I'd go to post with a Hotmail problem.

Heh, I'd just go to Hotmail support.

Have a good one!

Old August 3rd 08, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Paul Montgomery

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:00:00 -0700, LeftFoot
wrote:

I'm glad no one deleted your message from this newsgroup before you could
find a solution. I understand that the mods have to try to keep their groups
on topic, but I'd still rather just see folks get help when they need it.

None of these groups are moderated.