Comodo caused very slow boot up and shut down

Old August 4th 08, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Lovyan

Default Comodo caused very slow boot up and shut down

Vista 64 bit
Avira anti-virus
4gb RAM

Since installing Comodo 3.0 on my PC is now taking about 15 minutes to
shut down and about 10 minutes to boot up. Prior to this a restart took
75 seconds. I think it must be Comodo as uninstalling it fixes the
problem.

I've unticked the option to run automatically and instead it starts
using task scheduler.
I've also set Comodo firewall + defense to learning mode and rebooted
to no avail.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna uninstall and turn Windows back on. That
should be enough with my routers firewall, Avira AV and regular runs of
Spybot, A2 & Adaware.

--
Lovyan
Old August 4th 08, 11:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
locoeng

I don't use a third party firewall, but instead rely on Windows built in
firewall and Avira as well as my router and haven't had any problems. I
used Comodo on my old XP machine but had problems with cmdagent hogging
resources and ended up uninstalling it the same as you have. I think
you will be just fine with your current setup minus Comodo.

--
locoeng

Vista Ultimate 32/64 bit dual boot
Gigabyte EP35 DS3R
XFX GeForce 8600GT
Corsair 520HX
G.Skill DDR II 800 X2 gigs
Seagate 120GB (IDE) X2
WD 750 (SATA)
Samsung SH203B SBO3 patched codeking
Pioneer 215L patched MCSE
NEC/Optiarc 7200S 1.06bt Liggy&Dee
Lite-On 20A1L BL06 -FB FBL EOS EOHT 6-
Old August 4th 08, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kayman[_5_]

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 06:45:53 -0500, Lovyan wrote:

Vista 64 bit
Avira anti-virus
4gb RAM
Since installing Comodo 3.0 on my PC is now taking about 15 minutes to
shut down and about 10 minutes to boot up. Prior to this a restart took
75 seconds.

Nobody needs this kind of software on a functional OS.

I think it must be Comodo as uninstalling it fixes the problem.

Quite right!

I've unticked the option to run automatically and instead it starts
using task scheduler.
I've also set Comodo firewall + defense to learning mode and rebooted
to no avail.

That happens with badly coded software.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna uninstall...

You won't regret uninstalling this 'thing'!
You may wish to have look at these links...
http://forums.comodo.com/frequently_...o-t9508.0.html
http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v2...html;topicseen
....to ensure this 'whatever-they-call-it' is removed entirely from your
operating system!
If you still experience problems, you may wish using this:
Revo Uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

...and turn Windows back on.

Educational reading:
Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc510323.aspx

That should be enough with my routers firewall,...

Maybe you knew about this...
Implement countermeasures against DNSChanger
http://extremesecurity.blogspot.com/...-hijacked.html

...Avira AV and regular runs of Spybot, A2 & Adaware.

You may wish to consider this A-S programm as well:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

Topical issue:
Check your DNS (Domain Name Server/System)
http://www.doxpara.com/
https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

Good luck
Old August 4th 08, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mr. Arnold

"Lovyan" wrote in message

Vista 64 bit
Avira anti-virus
4gb RAM

Since installing Comodo 3.0 on my PC is now taking about 15 minutes to
shut down and about 10 minutes to boot up. Prior to this a restart took
75 seconds. I think it must be Comodo as uninstalling it fixes the
problem.

Then you don't use Commode.

I've unticked the option to run automatically and instead it starts
using task scheduler.
I've also set Comodo firewall + defense to learning mode and rebooted
to no avail.

Get rid of Commode.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna uninstall and turn Windows back on. That
should be enough with my routers firewall, Avira AV and regular runs of
Spybot, A2 & Adaware.

It's a wise choice.

Old August 4th 08, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Paul Montgomery

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:03:06 +0700, Kayman
wrote:

If you still experience problems, you may wish using this:
Revo Uninstaller

Looks like a glorified registry cleaner to me.
Old August 5th 08, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
phoenix_abhi[_4_]

Undoubtedly Comodo is a system hog. It takes a lot of cpu (48-55) but
then it has a Unique design and far far better than Windows FW. If
anyone have doubt go for some FW leak test and I do not remember the
site name, but the leak test contains a Virus, which did not stopped by
Windows FW. Luckily I have KIS 9, Spysweeper in place and quarantined
the threat. Again I have taken the test Comodo installed and it stopped
and displayed it as a threat. Now I am not using the Comodo, KIS 9 has
everything in it

Comodo has a inbuilt Anti Spyware scanner which required to update
manually

--
phoenix_abhi

'Technical Development and INDIA'
(http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/home.jsp)

phoenix_abhi's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=110
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18192

Old August 5th 08, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Lovyan

Thank you for your replies, I've uninstalled Comodo now and am back to
75 second reboots.

--
Lovyan
Old October 7th 09, 03:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Shapeshifte

An update released today must have had some bad stuff in it. Two of my
computers crashed at the same time, and cmdagent was sucking all cpu
power on both. I use the two for very different stuff and even different
versions of windows nad little common software apart from browsers and
other elementaries

Uninstall did it. now where to go?

--
Shapeshifte
Shapeshifte's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/142005.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 7th 09, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MowGreen

Shapeshifte wrote:

An update released today must have had some bad stuff in it. Two of my
computers crashed at the same time, and cmdagent was sucking all cpu
power on both. I use the two for very different stuff and even different
versions of windows nad little common software apart from browsers and
other elementaries

Uninstall did it. now where to go?

Forget Commode(sic) and Zone Alame(sic). Try a firewall that does not
interfere with the normal operation and updating of Windows:

Online Armor Free
http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free.php

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"