deleting partition

Old August 5th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Matty[_2_]

Default deleting partition

I just bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and when I got home I
discovered that it's 120GB hard-drive had been divided into two equal
partitions - C and D. I would prefer that the whole thing be one. How can
I delete the empty partition D? (I have never dealt with partitions before.)

Thanks for any help.

Old August 5th 08, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

Your d: partition probably has the hidden system backup on it in case of a
disaster.
you can probably shrink it down to a smaller size, so your C: partition can
expand.
Do not copy any other files to it.
You may need a third party partition manager to do this.
One of the best ones is BootIt NG, it is free for 30 days.

Old August 5th 08, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LeeTutor[_2_]

Go into Disk Management by typing DISKMGMT.MSC in the Run (or the
Search) dialog box off the Start Menu. Right click the D: partition and
select Delete Volume. Then you can right click the C: partition and
select Extend Volume, in order to expand the C: partition to include the
unallocated space made by deleting the D: partition.

--
LeeTutor
Old August 5th 08, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Matty[_2_]

It turns out that D is not completely empty after all. Windows Explorer
says that 91MB is used. The only thing I can find on it is a hidden folder
called erData. That folder contains only one file called
BurnMachineLog.txt, but this file is blank. Does anybody know what this is?
Is this folder/file important? If I delete partition D will this
folder/file disappear or will it be transferred to C? If the only file I
can find is 0KB in size, what is the 91MB used for?

Old August 5th 08, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

Matty, I think your owners manual tells you how to use the backup to save
your operating system in case of failure.

Old August 5th 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

If you can afford it, you can buy a hard drive that plugs into your USB
port.
This is one of the best times to buy as the prices are down,
For example you can buy a 160GB drive for about 60 dollars.

Then leave do: drive alone.

"Matty" wrote in message
It turns out that D is not completely empty after all. Windows Explorer
says that 91MB is used. The only thing I can find on it is a hidden
folder called erData. That folder contains only one file called
BurnMachineLog.txt, but this file is blank. Does anybody know what this
is? Is this folder/file important? If I delete partition D will this
folder/file disappear or will it be transferred to C? If the only file I
can find is 0KB in size, what is the 91MB used for?

Snip

Old August 6th 08, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:24:43 -0400, "Matty" wrote:

I just bought a laptop with Vista Home Premium and when I got home I
discovered that it's 120GB hard-drive had been divided into two equal
partitions - C and D.

It is onconceivable that they are equal in size. The icon you see in
"Computer" makes them LOOK the same size, but I absolutely know that
they are not.

The D partition is probably about 10GB, give or take a couple. Right
click on it, choose Properties. What does it say (Capacity)?
Old August 6th 08, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

Leave the *partition *D: over there as it is; You can use it as a
recover partion in case there is a operating system crash. If you still
don't want it then use software by the name of partition magic.

--
tanuj_chadha
Old August 6th 08, 05:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Matty[_2_]

According to their properties (the window with the pie graph) C is
55,989,477,376 bytes and D is 55,660,466,176 bytes. C is already one-third
full, while D seems to be empty except for that mysterious missing 91MB. I
really want to be able to use that space because it is quite a bit. If it
helps, the name of the D partition is "Data" while C is "Main" (I have not
changed them). According to the DiskManager, there is also 7.81GB on the
hard-drive set aside in what it calls EISA Configuration. This space does
not appear to be part of either partition and the DiskManager says that it
is 100% free. It also says that D is 100% free.

There is no mention in the manual about any partition. For an emergency
restore it says to make a back-up DVD. Right now I don't have any blanks
but I will certainly be making a back-up before making any attempt do delete
the partition.

I have had a computer before that had a "ghost" image on a small partition
of several GB in case of a crash but that OS (WinME) was aware of the
existence of the ghost file and made no effort to hide it from me. Vista
seems to think that the D partition is really empty except for that
folder/file that contains nothing and the missing 91MB. If this partition
is for back-up purposes surely that would be mentioned somewhere. Otherwise
what's to prevent me from trying to install something like a large game on
that partition which might over-write the back-up files?

On my old computer I didn't bother to remove the partition it came with
because it was only about 10% of the total and it was obviously being used
for something by the system. I honestly think that the manufacturer simply
partitioned this hard-drive because they thought it would be more convenient
for me, but because I am the sole user I prefer to have one large drive.
Thanks to the responses to my original question I now know how to delete the
partition, but I want to be absolutely sure that doing so will not screw
something up. I suppose I could ask the manufacturer why they partitioned
the hard-drive and if I can safely re-unite it. If anybody knows it should
be them.

Old August 6th 08, 06:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon[_5_]

"Matty" wrote in message
According to their properties (the window with the pie graph) C is
55,989,477,376 bytes and D is 55,660,466,176 bytes. C is already
one-third full, while D seems to be empty except for that mysterious
missing 91MB. I really want to be able to use that space because it is
quite a bit.

91Mb "quite a bit"? You have 55 GIGABYTES on the partition. If you're so
concerned about 91 MEGAbytes then you either didn't buy a machine with
sufficient disk space in the first place, or as has been suggested, get an
external HDD...