Permissions on USB drives in Vista

Old August 23rd 08, 04:26 PM
JACK0306 JACK0306 is offline
Junior Member

Default Permissions on USB drives in Vista

Whenever I put a storage in my USB drive, when I try to access it, it says Access is denied. I looked it up on google and found that it was quite a common problem in Vista, and that the problem was in permissions, and all I had to do was to take ownership of whatever I had in my drive. However, when I try to do this, it says Access is denied.

I have tried taking ownership using the hidden administrator account, to no avail. It says that it is unable to display the current owner, I'm not sure whether or not that has something to do with it.

I have also tried using the registry editor, and giving my self full control over Mounted Devices, and taking ownership. I can do this, but it still says unable to display owner on my USB drive and I am unable to take ownership of the actual drive itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to do.
Old August 23rd 08, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Leo

Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder

Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f filename or folder

OR

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property

Windows

Now again

1) Right-click on the file

2) Select Properties

3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button

4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick

the 'allow' box for 'Full control'

You have now taken 'Full control' of file

--
Leo

"I contend that, for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity, is
like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
handle." - Winston Churchill

Old August 23rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ramesh MVP[_34_]

Run Registry Editor and delete the following key:

*HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Group
Policy Objects\{0358F1C3-F107-4081-BD80-9277B0CDA98E}User*

--
Ramesh MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' (http://itsmywindows.com)
Ramesh MVP's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20417

Old August 23rd 08, 10:20 PM
JACK0306 JACK0306 is offline
Junior Member

When I try to run takeown on the drive from the command line (as administrator), it says "ERROR: Access is Denied".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

Old August 24th 08, 04:01 AM
JACK0306 JACK0306 is offline
Junior Member

I don't have a directory Group Policy Objects in CurrentVersion. I have a folder Group Policy, but it doesnt seem to contain the key, it contains folders
Group Membership, History, and Policy Application State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh MVP[_34_] View Post
Run Registry Editor and delete the following key:

*HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Group
Policy Objects\{0358F1C3-F107-4081-BD80-9277B0CDA98E}User*

--
Ramesh MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' (it’s my Windows)
Ramesh MVP's Profile: Windows Vista Help Forum - View Profile: Ramesh MVP
View this thread: Permissions on USB drives in Vista - Windows Vista Help Forum
Old August 24th 08, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ramesh MVP[_38_]

Ok Jack0306 !! follow the steps
'how-to-take-ownership-or-privileges-of-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista'
(http://tinyurl.com/3fyegt)

You have to execute all commands under elevated command prompt
so...just run CMD as Administrator

Old August 24th 08, 08:00 PM
JACK0306 JACK0306 is offline
Junior Member

Running an elevated command prompt, takeown fails: "ERROR: Access is Denied."

It says unable to display the current owner, which makes me think that some other program might be locking me out, but im not sure. I am able to use the drive in safe mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh MVP[_38_] View Post

Old August 26th 08, 03:20 AM
JACK0306 JACK0306 is offline
Junior Member

Does anyone know how to kill the Group Policy Client? I've installed SP1, so GPMC is removed, and I only have 4 admx files, so I think it's something screwed up with my Group Policy that is locking me out from my USB drive.
Old August 26th 08, 10:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ramesh MVP[_47_]

JACK0306;91425 Wrote:
Does anyone know how to kill the Group Policy Client? I've installed
SP1, so GPMC is removed, and I only have 4 admx files, so I think it's
something screwed up with my Group Policy that is locking me out from
my USB drive.
JACK0306

open Group Policy Editor and

Right click on Local Computer Policy and choose Properties.
Now check both check boxes "Disable Computer Config. Settings and
Disable User Config Settings"

Old August 26th 08, 01:59 PM
JACK0306 JACK0306 is offline
Junior Member

How can I open the Policy Editor? When I try to run GPEdit.msc it fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh MVP[_47_] View Post