Memory problems

Old September 5th 08, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neobreaker

Default Memory problems

lately ive been having these messages about my memory being low so i
should close some programs or not enough memory to do certain things, so
i uninstalled about 3 games big ones too and it still is showing the
same old messages my memory is decreasing instead of increasing ive
basically stripped my computer of all the things ive downloaded that
might take up memory and when i go to "My Computer" it says i have 12 GB
free of 72 GB of memory and it goes anywhere from 10-20 but it keeps
decreasing i fear soon my computer wont work at all.

ive ran defrag programs and they said my computer was heavily
fragmented so i defraged it and now it isnt fragmented but the memory is
still the same,

does anyone know what i should do or any free programs that could fix
this?

--
Neobreaker
Old September 5th 08, 05:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DDW[_2_]

Neobreaker wrote:

lately ive been having these messages about my memory being low so i
should close some programs or not enough memory to do certain things, so
i uninstalled about 3 games big ones too and it still is showing the
same old messages my memory is decreasing instead of increasing ive
basically stripped my computer of all the things ive downloaded that
might take up memory and when i go to "My Computer" it says i have 12 GB
free of 72 GB of memory and it goes anywhere from 10-20 but it keeps
decreasing i fear soon my computer wont work at all.

ive ran defrag programs and they said my computer was heavily
fragmented so i defraged it and now it isnt fragmented but the memory is
still the same,

does anyone know what i should do or any free programs that could fix
this?

How large is your pagefile? You will get those messages if you 1)
don't have one set, or 2) have one set that is too small.

Have you run the Disk Cleanup utility lately?

Have you run CHKDSK (short version on restart) lately?

If those are OK, you can free up more disk space by reducing the
amount of space reserved/used by System Resto

http://www.petri.co.il/change_amount... _in_vista.htm

DDW
No email please
Old September 5th 08, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel

"Neobreaker" wrote in message

[...]

You are confusing "MEMORY" with hard drive space. When you get the not
enough memory message it means the physical memory and the virtual memory in
use in your computer is almost totally being used. There are some programs
that cause this more than others by having what are called "memory leaks"
where the program doesn't release memory that it isn't using for use by
other programs or processes. A lot of games have this issue and I see you
mentioned games. While hard drive space is used for the virtual memory in
the computer the not enough memory is not normally related to low hard drive
space.

The first fix for this is simply rebooting the computer. If it occurs
immediately after rebooting the next thing to do is check your virtual
memory (page file). To check and increase your virtual memory:

Open the Control Panel
Go to System and Maintenance
Then, click on System (should be the 3rd item down the list)
Next, look in the side bar to the left and click on Advanced System Settings
(UAC will announce its presence) and a new window will pop up
Look for the Performance section on the window and click the Settings
button, which will open a new window
Click on the Advanced tab at the top of the new window
Now, in the middle of the window, there should be a section called Virtual
Memory
Examine this number. A good practice is to set this number to twice that of
your physical RAM. For instance, if you have 1024MB of RAM, you will want
your Virtual Memory set to 2048MB. I have 2048MB of RAM and therefore, I
will set my Virtual Memory to 4096MB.

This number has a limit, depending on your version of Vista. All 32-bit
versions of Vista have a memory cap of 4GB of memory (due to limitations of
the x86 processors). The 64-bit versions of Vista vary.
(Thanks to
http://spiceminesofkessel.com/2007/1...mory-in-vista/ for
this detailed procedure)

Here is a web site to help you understand and fix the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912

Old September 5th 08, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David B.[_3_]

What is the exact error message, system memory and hard drive space are 2
different things, you may be looking in the wrong place to fix your problem.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

Old September 5th 08, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Here is a good link about low memory alerts:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...c61e21033.mspx