Smart Card - DOD CAC not working in VISTA

Old December 23rd 06, 02:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Asim

Default Smart Card - DOD CAC not working in VISTA

Hi,

I am testing an upgrade to Vista and have issues with smartcard. I did a
clean install of Vista and installed the smart card drivers for xp without
any problem but when I try to insert the smart card nothing happens. Device
manager reports that the smart card driver is ok and the device is working
properly. I also checked the services and they come up with no problems.

I also try installing the base version of XP, installing the drivers for the
smart card and then do an upgrade to Vista. During the upgrade, the
compatibility program did not complain about smart card drivers/software but
after the upgrade the same thing that smart card application did not respond
to the smart card insertion.

If someone has a work around/ fix for this please share with us. Thanks so
much.

Smart Card Hardwa PCMCIA ACTIVECARD P/N ZFG-9812-AC
Here is the error in the event log:

- Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"
- System
Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Smartcard-Server"
Guid="{4FCBF664-A33A-4652-B436-9D558983D955}" EventSourceName="SCardSvr" /
EventID Qualifiers="0"610/EventID
Version0/Version
Level2/Level
Task0/Task
Opcode0/Opcode
Keywords0x80000000000000/Keywords
TimeCreated SystemTime="2006-12-23T01:05:20.000Z" /
EventRecordID436/EventRecordID
Correlation /
Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /
ChannelSystem/Channel
Computerasimlen/Computer
Security /
/System
- EventData
Data Name="Message"The device does not recognize the command./Data
Data Name="Reader"SCM Microsystems SCR120 0/Data
Data Name="IOCTL"POWER/Data
/EventData
/Event

Old December 23rd 06, 11:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

What about contacting the manufacturer and/or vendor about
software drivers for Vista? That's probably the most
expedient way to get answers and/or the needed software.
Microsoft does not publish the software for the card readers!

Old December 23rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Asim

Thanks for taking the time to write. I did try calling them. Here is my
situation:

As a DOD end user, they tell me to go to DOD support desk. DOD -NMCI (NMCI
is DOD's end user's outsourced services) is still on Windows 2000 so I expect
them to be on Vista in 2010.
When I try to call directly or to search the public knowledge base
(http://www.actividentity.com/en/serv...ledge_base.php) they
refuse to answer becuase I don't have a direct contract with them. So i
decided to post this message here hopping that someone may have figured out a
way around this issue in Vista. I understand that MS is not the author of hte
software and they only provide hardware drivers for the smart card but still
wanted to try my luck on this forum. Thanks again.

Old December 23rd 06, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

Since this is a DOD situation you might be playing with fire
when you go outside the DOD authorized channels for
assistance with there security software.

I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole!!

Old December 23rd 06, 04:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Asim

Thanks again for your advice.

For benifit of anyone else who is looking for this softwa I found out
that ACTIVE CARD client version 6.0 for PKI is supported on XP/Vista. (DOD
just signed a contract and will soon provide ActivClient 6.0 for PKI. This
middleware will replace ActivCard 2.2, which enables personnel to use their
Common Access Card (CAC).
Complete announcement for those who can see is at infosec website.

Here is a link to the public story:
http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=41231

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Old April 18th 08, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Queue

My issue appears to be related. I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I
have two card readers. One is an SCM 3340 that goes in the expresscard
slot. The other is a USB 2.0 reader. Both work in other XP computers,
but only the USB reader works in my Vista machine. The ActivClient
software refuses to acknowledge that I have a smart card reader
installed when I only have the SCM 3340 plugged in. Any thoughts?

--
Queue
Old June 3rd 08, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kat Kirby

I purchased the Dell XPS, with Vista, just a couple of weeks ago. I
downloaded the drivers for the CAC reader - all is working properly, as I can
see my certificate. But, Vista says that there's not enough information
about the issuer of the DoD CAC certificate for it to be verified by Vista.
I am running Windows XP on my desktop - CAC reader working perfectly. I have
never been connected to the government computer system with my desktop, a big
"NO NO" in the security world. However, XP recognizes, or allows the DoD
system, to see my certificate. It has to be some kind of security setting
within Vista. I have even had my IT guys looking at the situation - they are
stumped as well. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old January 15th 09, 01:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cougerjd

Hello.

I hope I'm not infringing upon this thread incorrectly, but I've been
having trouble just getting my scmmirco SCR331 to be recognized by
WinXP.

I've dl'd the latest driver (v4.24.0.1) through Windows Updater. But I
still get a Code 39 that the driver can't be loaded. I really don't
understand why this is.

If you have had success with this sort of thing before in XP, can you
offer some help.

Thanks