Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Vista desktop

Old October 29th 08, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Jerry[_2_]

Default Vista desktop

All has been well until yesterday after installing two updates it said I
must have. When I restarted the computer the desktop took up the entire
left side of the screen with no areas top or bottom to change size. My
quicklaunch and taskbar, which should be in the lower blue portion are now
in a a sidebar on the right side of the screen.
Everything is there, but not where I want it, and all my desktop icons have
been moved around from where I had them.

How can I get the quicklaunce back to the lower left side of the screen.
There is no room any longer to drag the toolbars, nor anything else down
there. I need to resize the entire desktop.

What do I do now?

Thanks,

Old October 29th 08, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
pooch

Hi Jerry

Right click on a free space select personalize, selct display settings,
you can now resize your desktop

I hope this helps
Pooch

--
pooch
Old October 30th 08, 04:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Jerry[_2_]

I tried it but to no avail. I can move and resize the desktop left and
right but there is no place to move or resize it up or down. That's my
problem.

But thanks for the reply.

Old October 30th 08, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
JerryM

Also if that doesn't work, try the following keys to rotate the screen:
Ctrl+Alt+the up arrow key.

Old October 30th 08, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Jerry[_2_]

No, that's the problem. There is no 'bottom', since the desktop takes up
the entire screen with no area underneath it. The control alt up arrow
doesn't work either. I did manage to rotate the whole thing but it still
took up the entire screen and the current quick launch won't move anyplace
else except in the new sidebar I have to the right of the screen.

So far, nothing works to give me what I want. Even in the help screen it
explains that the quick launch is right next to the start button, but on my
screen it is at the top right of the screen and everything else is below it
in the sidebar. There is nust nothing that I have tried so far, including
a restore, that willl give me the conventional desktop.

I do appreciate the advice I am being given even though so far none of it
works.

Old October 31st 08, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
pooch

Hey Jerry,

Not to worry, I have still got a few ideas that may help

(make sure the computer is switched off)

Check the graphic card connections

Check that the graphic card is sitting properly

Try uninstalling, reinstalling the graphic driver, if this doesn't work
try an earlier driver

Let me know how you get on

Pooch

--