Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Memory filling up too fast?

Old October 30th 08, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

Default Memory filling up too fast?

Hey all,

Hope I am posting this in the right section and hope I can get some
feedback. I'm not even sure if this is a windows problem, but it is a
good place to start.

See my system info for my system specs but the main point of this post
is regarding my RAM. This system is the first time I've had 4 GBs of
ram, and also the first time I'm using a 64-bit OS.

My problem relates to the programs of the Adobe CS3 (That's CS3 and not
CS4). I've been doing alot of editing in Premiere Pro, which itself
isn't the problem. MY project in PPro is fairly complex, but only about
20 minutes long and nothing out of the oridinary. The problem begins
when I open up any other app to do some related work, like After
Effects, my RAM fills up very quickly and I can't understand why. I look
at my Sidebar RAM indicator and it shows I'm using nearly all 4 Gigs of
my RAM and the system performance suffers. Why is this? Often After
Effects will have basically a small clip open, nothing compared to what
Premiere has open but just those 2 apps will be nearly maxing out my
RAM, where as PPro alone maybe takes up 2 to 2.3GBs or so.

By contrast when I was on XP 32bit with 2 Gigs of RAM, on the same
system I might add, I could have those 2 programs open, plus something
like Maya, an IE instance, and so on and it wouldn't even phase the
system.

Do I have something set wrong?

--
ZeonStar
Old October 30th 08, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

Hi Zeonstar,

only thing I would suggest is due to the new Superfetch in vista it
could be the new normal. Have you ever actually had a low memory
warning? what is your RAM usage at idle? I Know that vista will "use"
anything up to 40% of my RAM when I've nothing running except the
system. It loads what it thinks you need next into free RAM which if
needed It will release back to any application that requests it

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Old October 30th 08, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

By idle you mean with like Vista loaded only right? It usually takes up
about 1400/4000. I forget the percentage, sorry.

No I don't actually get the Low Memory Error, which is odd. But when
the RAM appears maxed out via my monitor sidebar, stuff is visibly
slowing down.

My windows pagefile is system managed and I have it on a storage drive
that is independent of the drive windows is on and independant of the
drive my applications are on...if that matters at all.

--
ZeonStar
Old October 30th 08, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

Hi zeonstar,

Thinking further about this Superfetch should not be Maxing out your
RAM if it's working correctly. Are you running the CS2 applications in
compatibility mode for XP SP2 as I think there have been a few problems
with their vista compatibility.
as for the swap file the best thing is to locate it as you have done as
long as that drive is of a similar speed to your system disk.

Old October 30th 08, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

I have 3 physical drives (with many partitions but they are all 7200 RPM
standard Fare.

I'm using CS3, nor 2. I got CS3 right around the time I got Vista. I
don't think I ever even tried CS2 with Vista. But No I've not actually
tried the compatibility mode. I just right click the exe and choose
compatibility mode correct? I don't think I've ever used any of Windows
Compatibility modes in my life, in any verion of Windows. Eh!

Thanks for that idea though. I can try when I get home.

--
ZeonStar
Old October 30th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

Sorry about the mix up with the versions as I understand it CS2
should definitely run in compatibility mode, and CS3 sometimes needs it,
As you say it's an easy option to trial just the right click as you say,
so may be worth a try, and it can be reversed easily if it doesn't help.

Old October 30th 08, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

What about that Vista SuperFetch thing that I admit I know very little
about? Can/could it be disabled?

Also I been considering getting more RAM because I have to admit having
my system maxed with 8 GB of RAM would be kind of cool (Read: I spend
too much money.) But would my system start showing all 8 GB of THAT used
if I was to get more Memory?

--
ZeonStar
Old October 30th 08, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

Hi ZeonStar,

If you want to disable Superfetch have a look at Shawn's tutorial for
step by step ..

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72...refetcher.html

as you are running x64 you will be able to use all the 8 Gigabytes

you could also check the Adobe site for any vista related patches -
especially relating to x64

Old October 30th 08, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ZeonStar

What I meant was if I get 8 GBs am I going to have the same problem with
it "Filling up" like it seems to be doing with 4 Gbs right now? Because
I seriously doubt 2 Adobe apps are maxing out my RAM. That's what I'm
trying to solve. I wonder if CS4 is any better...

--
ZeonStar
Old October 30th 08, 10:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
barman58

all I can say about CS4 is that is does have a Native 64 bit design so
it should run well, it's a bit new at he moment so not sure if it is
more memory efficient.