Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Internet connected but can't use a browser

Old October 31st 08, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
El.Plates

Default Internet connected but can't use a browser

Hi am trying to fix a problem for a friend of mine on his Dell Inspiron
1720-1418 which is running Vista Home Premium and all is fine apart from
Internet Explorer cannot connect to the internet. I DO have a working
internet connection and am able to download Windows updates and updates for
Spybot (although not for NOD32, Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware !!) I have
run the latest version of these utilities and cleaned out some small issues
appropriately. Next downloaded Firefox incase IE had become corrupted but
exactly the same deal.
I next thought maybe it's a firewall issue and as my working knowledge on
the vista firewall is pretty flakey I decided to download, via my PC, a copy
of Zone Alarm.
The Dell will not allow me to install because the drivers are not compatible
!!
Tried different firewalls from different manufacturers but the same deal.
And of course the repair option is not available as there is no back up to
work from, for which I will gently thank my friend...
Really really desperately need some help on this one
TIA

Old October 31st 08, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
PA Bear [MS MVP]

...I am able to download Windows updates and updates for
Spybot (although not for NOD32, Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware !!)

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

El.Plates wrote:
[...]

Old November 2nd 08, 04:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Not Even Me

I saw that in XP quite a bit, especially after removing malware that had
gotten into the LSP.
Running LSPFIX.exe usually fixed it, but you could also run
(from the command line) netsh winsock reset
then reboot
If those failed, removing ALL network adapters from device manager,
rebooting and resetting the network connections seemed to do the trick (as
it rebuilt the LSP/Winsock)

"El.Plates" wrote in message
[...]

Old November 3rd 08, 10:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
El.Plates

"El.Plates" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Bob, I had already gone down the rebuild LSP/Winsock route without
success, and have subsequently posted back what I did to fix the issue - not
the way I had wanted to do it, as I never found the original problem, but a
solution non the less.
Thanks for you reply and best regards

Old November 3rd 08, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bob B

"El.Plates" wrote in message
[...]

Are you saying that removing the network adaptors from the device manager
then rebooting actually worked. Will the network connection reset
automatically or what else did you have to do ? (by the way I find I could
connect to the internet with internet explorer in safe mode with the network
connection but not in normal mode)

Bob

Old November 3rd 08, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
El.Plates

Are you saying that removing the network adaptors from the device manager
then rebooting actually worked. Will the network connection reset
automatically or what else did you have to do ? (by the way I find I could
connect to the internet with internet explorer in safe mode with the
network connection but not in normal mode)

Bob

No I'm not saying that, what I am saying is, is that I posted the Solution
that I used - so that people knew the problem was fixed.
Thanks again

Old November 3rd 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"El.Plates" wrote in message
[...]

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages, including HijackThis.
Help with malwa
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email