Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

What on earth is a "crawl-type start page"??

Old November 14th 08, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bill Bonnet

Default What on earth is a "crawl-type start page"??

It comes under Description of the scheduled tasks in Vista, what is
it/they?

Simple terms please

--
Bill Bonnet
Old November 14th 08, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mark H[_2_]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939039
(search for crawl)

A means of searching for links from one location to another typically within
websites. (e.g. Generate a site map.) In Vista, this is a function of the
Search Index verifying that the nodes within the search index (database)
actually lead to something and perform necessary updates to the index.

Example: (Pardon me if my example is too simplified. I'm only trying to
explain crawling.)
Search engine may create a map that uses the alphabet as nodes (forks in
the path.)
So, on the first rung you have 26 nodes indicating the first letter
starting any word. (These are the "start pages".)
On the next rung, each letter has 26 more nodes indicating the second
letter.

You would find the word "at" on the second rung with a pointer branching
from the "at" node to the location on the hard drive where the word is
located in a file. (There may be several locations associated with this node
since "at" is a fairly common word.)
Unused nodes are simply removed to speed up the search when requested.

Crawling is an automated process that walks along the path from node to
node verifying that something exists at each location indicated by the index
to keep it up-to-date and efficient.

Old November 14th 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bill Bonnet

Thanks, I'm not sure I understand all that but I get the general drift.
Doesn't sound as if that can be responsible for the attribute question
that is displayed below this one.

Bye

--
Bill Bonnet