Backup strategies??

Old November 20th 08, 05:09 AM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Box750

Default Backup strategies??

Neil Jones explained on 20/11/2008 :
Richie Hardwick wrote:
Neil Jones wrote:

How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.

PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
backups during the disk cleanup process.

If you don't want the entire drive to have backups, then partition it.

Using Vista's backup (which I think is a crappy backup solution), the
oldest will be deleted to make room for the new one.

If I am wrong, we both shall surely hear about it instantly.

The Vista backup software seems to be ok. What other backup software is
there to create a complete backup of the system?

NJ

Drive Backup 9.0 Express
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Comodo Backup
http://backup.comodo.com

Both free and working with Vista; I use the first one
and works well on Vista 64 bit

--
Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com

Old November 20th 08, 10:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Leythos[_2_]

In article , castellan2004-
says...
Leythos wrote:
In article , castellan2004-
says...
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Create 3 separate backup jobs, each one should be set to OVERWRITE the
file name it creates.

So,

BU Job 1 writes to MONDAY.BKF
BU Job 2 writes to WEDNESDAY.BKF
BU Job 3 writes to FRIDAY.BKF

Since you set the jobs to overwrite, they will only maintain 3 jobs.

How do you create these backup jobs in Vista? Please excuse my ignorance.

Don't know, don't use Vista. You should have specified that you were
using Vista Backup in your original post.

Here is a link that explains some about Vista backup
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc137798.aspx

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(remove 999 for proper email address)
Old November 20th 08, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Andre Da Costa

Change the machine name to have multiple Complete PC Backups. Complete PC
Backups saves its .VHD files based on the machine name. So say your PC is
named Dell8300-Vista

Everytime you decide to do a Complete PC Backup you could change the name of
the machine to:
Dell8300-Vista1
Dell8300-Vista2
Dell8300-Vista3
Dell8300-Vista4

You can change the Machine name by click start System Advanced system
settings Computer Name (tab)
click 'Change' give the machine a new name, and restart the system.
--
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Old November 20th 08, 11:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mark H[_2_]

Careful now... Leythos clearly stated he does not use Vista.

Vista backup options are different depending on what version of Vista you
are running.
For instance, all versions provide the ability to backup files, but only
Ultimate, Business and Enterprise provide Complete PC Backup and Shadow Copy
restoration. I state "restoration" because all versions make Shadow Copies,
but you cannot access them from some versions.

Vista does not allow you to easily make more than one full backup on the
same storage medium for the same computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...es/backup.aspx

It is these two quirks that drive most users to buy a third party program
for backups.
"Leythos" wrote in message
om...
In article , castellan2004-
says...

Old November 20th 08, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Paul Shapiro

Vista's Complete PC Backup does not create each backup as an independent
file. When you run the first Complete Backup, it copies everything. Next
time you run, it only copies changed disk blocks. So the integrity of the
2nd backup depends on the existence of the first backup. It continues that
way until it starts to run out of room. At any time you can restore to any
of your backed-up versions, since the older, now superseded blocks, stay on
the backup disk when the replacement blocks are added in a newer backup.

At some point it starts to run out of space. At that time it will remove the
blocks from the oldest backup that were superceded by the 2nd-oldest backup.
Any blocks from that oldest backup that are still current will remain, since
they are logically still part of the current backup.

Bottom line is that Vista has to control the backup storage because it's
more complicated than traditional backups. The benefit of the complexity is
a) faster backups because only the new blocks have to be copied to backup b)
reduced storage because blocks are only copied when they actually change.

"Andre Da Costa" wrote in message
Vista's Complete PC Backup automatically does the removal of the oldest
backups.
--
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
FromTheRafters wrote:
"Neil Jones" wrote in
message
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my
system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

You don't. Each separate complete backup will require additional disk
space.

Why not delete the first after you create the fifth - keeping four at
all
times.

How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.

PS - The backup disk is an external disk and does not list all the
backups during the disk cleanup process.

Thank you again.

NJ

Old November 22nd 08, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Ari[_3_]

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:19:25 -0500, Neil Jones wrote:

How do you remove the first backup? That is what I am missing. When I
do a disk cleanup, all the backups are being deleted.

Cobian Backup Freeware
--
Meet Ari!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3wh3hh
Old November 26th 08, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
C and A Bredt

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

I saw your post and I want to backup my system. I already do data files to
an External hard drive. Do you backup the Operating system too? If so what
program or procedure do you use?

Thanks, CB

Old November 26th 08, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MP Descartes

"C and A Bredt" wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

I saw your post and I want to backup my system. I already do data files to
an External hard drive. Do you backup the Operating system too? If so what
program or procedure do you use?

Thanks, CB

Read the entire thread and you will find what you want.
Old November 26th 08, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_2_]

"C and A Bredt" wrote in message
"Neil Jones" wrote in message
I have a 500GB backup disk to which I did a complete backup of my system
about 3 times now. Although I am not really running out of space, I
would like to keep the maximum number of backups to 3 or 4 with the
oldest being the most reliable backup.

How do I implement such backup procedure without using additional disk
space?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

I saw your post and I want to backup my system. I already do data files to
an External hard drive.

Usually the backup program for Vista will back up almost everything the
first time, and then things that changed thereafter. Known as a full backup
followed by incremental backups.

Do you backup the Operating system too?

The poster you quoted is quoted as saying:

"I did a complete backup of my system about 3 times now."

....to me that means 3 "complete" backups - so I assumed (wrongly) that
the Vista backup scenario wasn't used. Apparently it *was* what he was
using and as such every new "full" backup had overwritten the previous
one.

If so what program or procedure do you use?

Some of my old harddrives have been placed into USB enclosures for use
as external harddrives. The fact that at least one of them is a "Seagate" or
"Maxtor" drive makes it so that I can use the free "MaxBlast" (by Acronis)
for making disk "images" for use as backups.

These "images" are compressed copies of the entire disk's data.

....now *that's* what I call a "complete" backup.

I also use the full followed by incremental backup strategy that came with
my XP and Vista OSes.