Print-To-file

Old December 28th 06, 06:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tim Turner

Default Print-To-file

How do you print a Print-To-File item?
--
Timothy J. Turner
Old December 29th 06, 09:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Judy Booth

=?Utf-8?B?VGltIFR1cm5lcg==?= wrote in
:

How do you print a Print-To-File item?

I assume that you mean that you have printed to a file and now want to
print it?
If so there are various ways to do this - the simplest way is to use
Explorer to drag and drop the file to the correct print queue.

Judy
Old December 29th 06, 02:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tim Turner

Judy,

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, I have tried that and get the following message.

This file cannot be printed. Please try opening the file with the vorrect
application and printing from there.

Can't do that either as it trys to add all of the printer controls again.

So far the only solution I have found is to drop to dos and copy to the
print queue.

Was just hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks again

Tim

--
Timothy J. Turner

Old January 10th 07, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Frank Haber

Default Generic Text Printer

Curiosity Question: Does Vista still have a generic text printer driver? Can
it print to disk? Has it been improved any since the Win95 one that's been a
burr in our shorts for eleven years?

Old January 10th 07, 11:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tim Turner

Frank,
Not sure what you are asking. I am trying to use print-to-file in Windows
XP. I don't know about Vista, but Windows XP sure doesn't have a generic
printer. Also, if all you have is netwrok printers like us then even the DOS
solution is more complicated. You have to assign a network printer to lpt1
using the net use command.

This is why I am looking for an easier solution.
--
Timothy J. Turner

Old January 11th 07, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Steve Urbach

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:40:01 -0800, Tim Turner
wrote:

Frank,
Not sure what you are asking. I am trying to use print-to-file in Windows
XP. I don't know about Vista, but Windows XP sure doesn't have a generic
printer. Also, if all you have is netwrok printers like us then even the DOS
solution is more complicated. You have to assign a network printer to lpt1
using the net use command.

This is why I am looking for an easier solution.

You might need to clean your glasses:
Add New printer:
Manufacturer: Generic

Old January 12th 07, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Bruce Sanderson

1. Vista does have a generic text printer
2. It can print to disk (select the Port called "FILE
3. No idea

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders