View a Print-To-File File

Old January 1st 07, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
ajmplanner

Default View a Print-To-File File

I have stored many dozens files on my hard drive using the Print-To-File
option from the standard Print Dialog Box . I need to save these files for
auditing purposes but I don't need to print all of them at any time. I know
how to print them but I would like to view the files before I print them as I
only want to select certain ones for printing based on their content . Anyone
out there know how to do this, or if there is some software out there to do
it? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old January 2nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Tom Ferguson

The "printer file" so produced is the output of the printer driver that
would have been sent to the printer if the printer's port were set as
the target output device.

This means that the format and content of the file differ depending on
the printer type and the options selected in the driver. Some printer
files can be viewed with Notepad. This will not give you a view of the
document as it would print but there might be enough text decipherable
to be useful. Some printers output as a graphics page. There will be
nothing useful seen by Notepad or any other text editor. However, you
might be able to make a file copy with a tif extension and view it in a
program like Ifran View. If it is a HPGL laser, some graphics programs
can view the file simply by opening it. Some printers output as
bit-mapped or outline font data interspersed with printer commands.

If you let us know the printer make and model, perhaps someone can offer
better-directed assistance.

For reference: best to also save a copy of the word processor or other
original file as well. Yes, I know-barn door open, horse gone. ;-)

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

Old January 3rd 07, 01:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Steve Urbach

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:02:11 -0400, "Tom Ferguson"
wrote:

[...]

Or set the driver to Generic Text for the print to file "printer".
Note no fancy fonts allowed.

Sounds like you want to make a PDF of your document.
Acrobat reader would then be your viewer.
Old January 10th 07, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
ajmplanner

Thanks for the reply. Now that I understand the issue I also understand why
they cannot be easily viewed. Since I know enough VB to be dangerous I may
be able to write my own program to decode the PRN files at least to the point
where I can display some useful information that will let me make a "print/no
print" decision.

Happy New Year and thanks again for the help.

Old January 11th 07, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Steve Urbach

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:52:01 -0800, ajmplanner
wrote:

decode the PRN files

PRN is just a convention naming for a "print to file" (or a early DOS
device PRN: which usually mapped to LPT1: )
You still need to know WHAT PRINTER it was created FOR.

"Generic Text Only" printers can be viewed with any editor/text
viewer.