Desktop Display Problem

Old January 26th 09, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lucy

Default Desktop Display Problem

Hello,
If someone in here could tell me how to fix my desktop issue I would be
forever grateful. I wanted to check my email. I turned the computer on,
checked my mail and shut the lid. At that point everything was fine. When I
came back to it, I plugged it in, opened it and my desktop display was
wonky.(I had this issue before, and did a restore which fixed the problem).
The screen was stretched to the right and bottom and the curser just kind of
ran off the screen. The task bar doesn’t go all the way to the bottom of the
screen and when I put my curser under it, it is long and skinny, sort of like
you would look in one of those circus mirror's.This is what I have done so
far
-Checked the resolution: and it’s where it is supposed to be 1024x768
(60Hz)·
- Tried to get a print screen, but it looked normal in the pic.
-I updated the BOIS after running the HP health check and it told me to
(quite honestly I have no clue what that means LOL)
-Checked the driver to see if it needed an update , it didn’t
-Checked this forum and didn't find anything here
-Scoured over HP’s site, nothing
-As the very last resort I called HP. He instructed me to DL NIVDIA which I
did, and then got the message that driver wasn’t compatible with anything on
the computer.

Finally, Mr. HP asked me if I had anything important on my computer. I told
him that there was nothing on my computer that wasn’t important. He said that
I would have to do a system recovery.
My question is, do I really? Is this the only solution? I will continue with
my backup just in case I do, meanwhile I will be praying that someone sees my
post AND has a better option : )

HP Pavillion dv2910
Vista Home

Thanks, Robyn

Old January 26th 09, 01:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Clark[_4_]

Lucy wrote:
[...]

Have you tried plugging it into an external monitor to see what it does?

What happens if you start in Save Mode?

If you downloaded the correct drivers from Nvidia, they should install.
Make sure you aren't trying to install Chipset (nForce)drivers as
opposed to graphic drivers (GForce), or vice versa.

Clark
Old January 26th 09, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

There are several versions of this computer and one of them uses an Intel
graphics chipset. Perhaps that is what is in yours?
Either way, according to the computer specifications the display resolution
should be set to 1280x800.

dv2901ca -Nvidia
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...d uct=3753326

dv2901us - Intel
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...d uct=3747188

Old January 26th 09, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lucy

Default Desktop Display Problem/UPDATE-WON'T START!

Well, now it seems that I have a much worse issue. I was all set to do a
system recovery from the hard drive partition (not a big deal, I have done it
plenty of times) Had everything backed up and was ready to go. I first tried
start/recovery manager/recovery manager. My computer went through the
motions, but never started by itself. I waited for a long time and finally
shut it off and started it back up again. Next I tried rebooting, and was
ready to hit F11 when my computer restarted. Problem with that is that the HP
screen with the F11 prompt didn't come up. (Not sure how long that has been
going on for!) Then I tried rebooting with hitting F8 before the Vista logo
came up, to boot in safe mode. Nothing, it just started as normal. Then I ran
misconfig to manually tell it to start in safe mode (which I have done in the
past with no issues) My computer shut down and hasn't started since! I am
totally sick over this (I even shed a tear or two) I do have the extended
warrantee which I purchased at Circuit City (go figure) that is still good
but I am hesitant to go that route because of the horror stories I have heard
about their CS and repairs!
My computer is only 5 months old, which really irks my toad.
Can any of you computer guru's help me? Please? LOL

I am a mess over this : (

Clark, it never even dawned on me to plug it into an external monitor!! I
haven't had my laptop for that long, so I will use that as my defense : )

I can't remember what driver it was that he instructed me to install, I
guess that is a moot point since I have Intel.

To answer your question RalfG, since you brought it to my attention my
computer DOES have intel!!! Why would Mr. HP assume otherwise? Oh, that's
right, it was an HP service rep I talked to @@
Quite possibly if I was told to install the correct driver I wouldn't be in
this situation. Then again, there is obviously something wrong if I wasn't
getting the HP screen at startup.
I checked and rechecked the resolution and kept coming up with the 1024x768.
The only option I had was the 1024x768, and something else that was quite
low, and that wasn't right either.

I TOTALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP/ADVICE FROM BOTH OF YOU : )

Thank you so much,
Robyn

Old January 26th 09, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

I'm guessing you didn't burn a set of recovery discs for it? Recovering from
the discs would be the next thing to try before giving it up as a warranty
issue. HP will supply the discs if you ask for them, probably for a nominal
fee.

https://warp2.external.hp.com/driver...&lang=en&cc=ca

I can't tell from here if yours is a hardware problem or possibly a virus
infection but from what you've said it might be that you've had a hardware
problem in that laptop all along.

If the computer is only 5 months old it should still be covered under the HP
warranty, shouldn't it? Unless it is a refurb maybe? It's a tricky situation
what with Circuit City's current situation. If it isn't under HP warranty
then you should make use of the Circuit City warranty you paid for before
the company goes under (if they go under). Under the circumstances I'd avoid
leaving it for repairs (unless they'll do it while you wait) and try to get
a replacement computer out of them.

Old January 27th 09, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Lucy

Last night when I got home, I called HP and had a WONDERFUL tech. We hooked
the laptop to the external monitor and I was able to do the recovery. So that
is good. I was really freaking out over the fact that it wouldn't start!!
Once my computer was done with the recovery operation, the screen was still
messed up as before : ( I was talking to a co-worker about it this morning
and she was saying that it could be because it came into contact with
something magnetic? In my house, it is in one of 2 places, either in my
living room, or bedroom. And when I turned it on for the first time that
evening it was fine, but a half hour later it was messed up. At that time my
computer was in the same place. The wonderful HP tech is going to call me
tomorrow evening, so if I don't find a solution before then I will ask him. I
didn't made a set of disks because I always have my info backed up. Also,
after the recovery it still isn't showing the HP screen when I turn on the
computer. I am pretty sure that isn't normal LOL....
BUT, I am going to do that tonight! I think I am also going to order the
Windows Vista CD so I won't always have to rely on the hard drive partition.
Yes, it is still covered under HP as well as CC's warrantee. The CC
warrantee will still be honored, even after the store closes. I checked that
out the second I heard that it was closing (devistating that a huge chain of
stores that has been around for 60 years is going under) But, the store has
never fixed anything there, they always send it out to HP......... I am kind
of leary to do this. Hopefully there is another option.

Gotta get back to work. THANKS SO MUCH!!

robyn~

Old January 27th 09, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RalfG[_3_]

Do get the recovery discs from HP or make your own using the HP utility. A
backup set just isn't an adequate substitute. Especially not the Vista Home
Edition backup because it doesn't backup the Vista OS, drivers or other
software, only your personal files.

The HP startup wallpaper is usually turned on by a setting in your computer
BIOS. It will either display HP on the screen or show the computer POST
messages as it starts up.

Sounds like you still have a problem with the computer hardware or video
drivers though. External static isn't very likely to be the cause of your
display problem but an internal electrical problem could be. Are you able
to set it to 1280x800 yet? That should be the normal operating resolution
for your screen. Since the computer has an external monitor connection I'm
just wondering if the computer also has a switch to turn that on or off, or
is it able to use both monitors at the same time in a dual display
configuration? If there is a problem with the video driver Vista could be
getting wrong information about which screen/ size it is supposed to be
using for your main desktop. On rare occasions I've seen my own desktop get
switched from the monitor over to the TV after a reboot. If the TV doesn't
happen to be turned on at the time so I can see what happened, the sudden
blank screen or empty desktop on the monitor can be unsettling.

I've also run into a few programs that always start up on the second display
rather than the main one and some that will change the display resolution
but not change it back when the program ends. Ever notice if your display
problem always happens when you've done a certain operation, or is it
completely random?

Good luck anyway. I hope you get it sorted one way or another.

"Lucy" wrote in message
[...]

: )