DVD-RW does not burn

Old June 29th 07, 02:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Windowpane

Default DVD-RW does not burn

Hi,

I recently got a new rig, 2.4 ghz duel core, 2 gigs of ram, nvidia 8800 GTS,
and a PIONEER DVR-212D DVD burner.. the last one is giving me a very annoying
problem.

I use itunes regularly, to listen to music and on my old computer, i used it
to create audio CD's, but for somereason on this vista PC i cannot burn. When
i try burning in itunes i get a message that says "Disc burner or software
not found...", when it try using windows media player to burn a cd, it
starts, but each song that tries burning fails to burn and i end up with a cd
that has empty tracks on it. When i use nero, it starts burning, but quickly
fails.

I recently updated to the most recent drivers for this device (version 1.21
i think), and this device should be compatible with vista. i don't know why
its not.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

pat
Old June 29th 07, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Windowpane,

Take a look at the following Microsoft article for troubleshooting such
problems:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Let us know whether you find anything useful.
--
freddy

Old June 29th 07, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Windowpane

freddy,

I followed the instructions in that link, but only found the "UpperFilters",
there where no lower filters, so i deleted the upperfilters anyways, and
nothing changed.. i just had to re-install itunes. I tried burning with
itunes again and i got the same message "disc burner or software not found..."

when i go into the advanced burning options in itunes it does not even
detect the burner.

still not sure why i cant burn cd's..

thanks though..

please help!

pat

Old June 29th 07, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"Windowpane" wrote:

[...]

In XP, were you using third party software for burning as opposed to XP's
built in function?

I don't think this is a driver issue as other applications on your system
recognize the burner.

This appears to be one of two issues. One, you don't have the latest Vista
compatible version of iTunes or, more likely, this is a DRM issue. Even
though you were able to do this on XP, DRM, digital rights management, is
more integrated into the system on Vista. Further, as far as I know, the
DRM flag on tracks downloaded from iTunes, prevents them from being recorded
to other media. There are apps out there that are able to get around this.
Without the right software, I don't think you'll be able to burn CDs of
iTunes tracks. Check out the following which explains this a bit:
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/med...hases-legally/

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend

Old June 29th 07, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Windowpane

er.. My old Pc was running XP and it worked fine on that computer, this is a
new computer and the first OS on it is vista (this one), and im not burning
itunes music, im burning un-protected/burnable mp3's..

I just recently updated my itunes the most recent vista compatible version.
still not working though..

Deamon tools is another program i have running, but it is vista compatible,
and never stopped me before. virtual drives shouldnt be an issue (i have
two), are there any issues with burning and virtual drives?

thanks,

pat

Old June 29th 07, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"Windowpane" wrote in message
er.. My old Pc was running XP and it worked fine on that computer, this is
new computer and the first OS on it is vista (this one), and im not
burning
itunes music, im burning un-protected/burnable mp3's..

I just recently updated my itunes the most recent vista compatible
version.
still not working though..

Deamon tools is another program i have running, but it is vista
compatible,
and never stopped me before. virtual drives shouldnt be an issue (i have
two), are there any issues with burning and virtual drives?

thanks,

pat

I'm sorry, unless I missed it, I didn't see anything in your previous posts
that indicated you were trying to burn unprotected mp3's. I saw a reference
to iTunes and thought you were referring to iTunes protected tracks.

I never said or implied you couldn't do it on your old PC, in fact, I said
quite the opposite.

Old June 30th 07, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"Michael Solomon" wrote:

[...]

It's okay, no problem. Good luck.

Old June 30th 07, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Windowpane

can anyone help me!?

or did microsoft just screw me over with a glitchy operating system, i
thought vista was supposed to be better then this.

please help me fix this microsoft

pat

Old June 30th 07, 11:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Windowpane,

I have two suggestions:

1. Vista records error conditions. Take a look in the error report, Start
All Programs Maintenance Problem Reports and Solutions. Peruse the

report and note any error conditions contained therein. Focus on any
recommendations for action to take to correct any errors.

2. I saw the following recommendation on another forum to fix certain iPod
issues, but I'm not sure how it works or what if fixes. Even so, it goes
like this: The data on the iPod may be corrupted. To restore, select your
iPod in Apple iTunes. Then, click Restore on the Summary tab to restore your
iPod to working condition. You know more about the iPod than I do, so you
can do with this as you deem appropriate. My theory is that the procedure
may fix something to do with recording.

Don't give up. Post back on results.
--
freddy