Good content blocker/site blocker for Vista workstation?

Old February 7th 09, 01:37 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Leythos[_2_]

Default Good content blocker/site blocker for Vista workstation?

I have a client with a stand alone vista workstation that would like to
block almost all websites from anyone using the laptop. I don't use
workstation level products and this is a case outside my normal scope -
can anyone recommend a product that allows an Admin to setup permitted
sites for "user" level accounts on a vista workstation?

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(remove 999 for proper email address)
Old February 7th 09, 02:33 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dan

http://www.netnanny.com/, also call your police state director for advice.
Old February 7th 09, 02:52 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Leythos[_2_]

In article , says...
on 2/7/09 8:37 AM Leythos said the following:
I have a client with a stand alone vista workstation that would like to
block almost all websites from anyone using the laptop. I don't use
workstation level products and this is a case outside my normal scope -
can anyone recommend a product that allows an Admin to setup permitted
sites for "user" level accounts on a vista workstation?

http://www.netnanny.com/, also call your police state director for advice.

How is ensuring workers are not abusing the resources a "Police State"?
If you give people a set of rules and don't do anything to enforce them
you are giving them permission to violate them.

Old February 7th 09, 07:02 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dan

on 2/7/09 9:52 AM Leythos said the following:
In article , says...
on 2/7/09 8:37 AM Leythos said the following:
I have a client with a stand alone vista workstation that would like to
block almost all websites from anyone using the laptop. I don't use
workstation level products and this is a case outside my normal scope -
can anyone recommend a product that allows an Admin to setup permitted
sites for "user" level accounts on a vista workstation?

http://www.netnanny.com/, also call your police state director for advice.

How is ensuring workers are not abusing the resources a "Police State"?
If you give people a set of rules and don't do anything to enforce them
you are giving them permission to violate them.

If you don't trust your workers, they will reciprocate. Plus you may
groom a bunch of non-thinking "heil" types that stab each other in the back.

But if you are a server guru, why not configure the PC to connect
through a proxy server and lock it down at the proxy?
Old February 7th 09, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mick Murphy

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/kdt...teblocker.html

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for.
--
Mad Mike

Old February 7th 09, 09:33 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Leythos[_2_]

In article , says...
[...]

And if you trust your workers and never check on them you are bound to
be screwed many times.

Many people do just fine with enforced technology constraints, and many
people abuse the network resources when they have only WORDS to restrict
them.

But if you are a server guru, why not configure the PC to connect
through a proxy server and lock it down at the proxy?

There is NO server and no true firewall, this is a stand alone PC that
some people can take home to remote into the office - it's not my
solution, would never do this, but I have to work with what I don't like
sometimes.

Old February 7th 09, 09:35 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Leythos[_2_]

In article , says...
http://www.websense.com/content/WebFilter.aspx

it's not easy to tell if it's a stand alone, workstation type product or
something at the gateway.

Old February 7th 09, 10:26 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_2_]

Can you control the laptop's DNS lookups? Not the hosts file,
but the primary and secondary servers? Just thinking out loud
here, but a proxy DNS could function as a whitelist couldn't it?

om...

Old February 7th 09, 11:59 PM posted to comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dan

on 2/7/09 4:33 PM Leythos said the following:
In article , says...
[...]

If you could remove IE and Outlook that would be were to start. Then
the person could only IPSEC/SSL into corporate net where its network
policy is enforced.