Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Windows mail username and password error loop

Old February 14th 09, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
gyates

Default Windows mail username and password error loop

I have just set up my new computer and my new windows mail... and for
some reason I keep getting the username and password window. Every time
I enter them correctly... and it just comes up again... over and over
and over again.

I get this error message:
Account: 'incoming.verizon.net', Server: 'incoming.verizon.net',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed',
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number:
0x800CCC92

For some reason I can sometimes get e-mail and send e-mail, but the
username and password window won't stop coming up. I tried to down load
windows live mail instead... but it did the same thing so I uninstalled
it.

--
gyates
Old February 14th 09, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
jodiemae

I am getting exactly the same and determined to find the answer - theres
plenty of help pages but its finding the right one, and it takes up so much
time !

Old February 14th 09, 09:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Frustrated

I am also getting the same problem. I have been using this for almost a year
noew all of a sudden it want my user name and password. Like you I enter it
but it jsut pops up again. I can receive emails but can not send. I really
don't want to pay to for support, so I hope someone has had this problem and
solved it.

Old February 14th 09, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

If you are sure you are you are entering the correct username and
password, one possible cause for that error is account corruption.
One thing you should try as a quick fix is to delete that corrupted
mail account, restart Windows Mail, then recreate that account.

As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained he
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running? In a worst case scenario, your
antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Old February 14th 09, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

If you can receive but not send, you don't have the same problem.
Do you get an error message when you try to send? If so,
right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here.
We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.

Also, which antivirus are you running? Some of them are not fully
compatible with Windows Mail.

Old February 16th 09, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
MR Gorman[_2_]

In the same boat as the above posters: Here is my error message:
Account: 'IMAP.aol.com (1)', Server: 'IMAP.aol.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR Bad login. Incorrect name and/or password,
please re-enter.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92

One person said it might be misconfigured with IMAP protocol, not POP3,
but I do have IMAP protocol. HELP!

--
MR Gorman
MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old February 16th 09, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

You are incorrect, your error message says you are using the POP3 protocol.
Recreate the account from scratch using AOL's setup instructions:
http://postmaster.aol.com/imap/express.html

Old February 25th 09, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
MR Gorman[_6_]

O.K. I have now set up a new IMAP account. Still get error message for
username and password. I guess my next question is where this server
"username" comes from. I would gladly check it or reset it or anything.
I'm now not even getting error message details. It just won't let me
do anything.