Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Multiple emails

Old February 19th 09, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Turkk

Default Multiple emails

I have been using Windows Mail for about 18 months without having this
problem until now. The day before yesterday I reset my POP3 password, and
ever since then I have been receiving multiple copies of every email. I have
three separate user accounts (let's call them Tom, Dick & Harry), with rules
set up to put Tom's mail in a folder called 'Tom's Mail', etc. This has
always worked just fine. But after I reset the password, I started getting
three copies of each email. They still went to the correct folder, but I got
three. As an experiment, I added a fourth user account (Bill), and now I get
FOUR copies of every email, still going to the correct folders. How do I fix
this please? Grateful for any help...
--
Turkk
Old February 19th 09, 10:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Turkk

Just an addition to my previous email. I now find that I have another
problem, which is that copies of emails are *not* being left on the server,
although this is specified for all user acounts. It is vital for me that
copies are left there as backup in case something goes wrong. How could
simply resetting my POP3 password cause all these problems?
--
Turkk

Old February 19th 09, 12:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

I would check the message rule and verify it says to move to folder and not
copy to folder. Also you might try removing the mail account completely and
then closing and reopening WinMail and then addding it back again and then
re-establishing the message rules. See also point 3 he
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3 Some 3rd party program could be interfering.

steve

Old February 19th 09, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Turkk

Thank you for the ideas. I have checked and the rule definitely says to move
to folder, not copy. I also tried removing one of the accounts &
re-installing it as you suggested, but this did not solve the problem. I
doubt that the problem is caused by my virus protection, as this has not
changed in all the time I have been using Vista and Windows Mail.
The only thing that I did was reset my POP3 password. No other settings
in Windows Mail or elsewhere were changed.
As I said, I'm also concerned that suddenly messages are not being left on
the server.
Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
--
Turkk

Old February 19th 09, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Are the settings correct under Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties |
Advanced where it says to leave them on the server? Did you check any other
machines to make sure their settings are also to leave it on the server?
Sometimes that will get reset manually.

I still suspect a 3rd party program.

steve

Old February 19th 09, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Also, make sure each message rule ends in "Stop processing more rules".

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Old February 19th 09, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Antivirus-related email problems can start up unexpectedly.
It may be just coincidence that you changed a password around the
same time. As a test, uninstall the antivirus temporarily to see if that
cures the problem. In the case of Norton or McAfee antivirus you would
need to follow up the uninstall with their special remover tool, due to the
egregious amount of troublesome junk left behind by those two programs.

Old February 20th 09, 09:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Turkk

Thank you for your suggestions. I find it hard to believe that it is 'just a
coincidence' that I changed my POP3 password and two problems immediately
appeared with Windows Mail.
Re leaving copies on the server: I checked properties for all three
accounts and it does say to leave on server. There is only one other
computer networked with this machine, and it is not used for email.
I am reluctant to uninstall my anti-virus program, which is the 'E-Trust
Threat Management' from Computer Associates (it is extremely tricky to
install and uninstall). It does give me an option to disable email scanning;
I tried this and there was no change--I still got three copies of an email.
I then temporarily disabled the whole program, and instead of three copies I
got two. When I turned the program back on it returned to three copies.
This does suggest that there is some connection, but obviously disabling my
entire anti-virus program is not the answer, especially as it doesn't
entirely solve the probelm.
What should I try now?
--
Turkk

Old February 20th 09, 09:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Turkk

Sorry, I realize that I miscounted my multiple test messages sent from
Googlemail. Actually, disabling the anti-virus didn't change the number of
copies received: I'm still getting three copies of everything.
But at least copies of these also turned up on the server, along with a
copy of a junk mail also received today, so perhaps that issue is unreleated,
and was somehow a problem with my server.
Thank you again...
--
Turkk

Old February 20th 09, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Disabling is not the same thing as uninstalling. Many antivirus-related
problems with Windows Mail don't go away until after the offending
antivirus is uninstalled.

Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, consider installing Windows Live
Mail (WLM), because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from
antivirus programs. Give it a try, and if it turns out you don't like it, merely
uninstall WLM, and Windows Mail will be back as your default email program.

http://download.live.com/wlmail