Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS

Old March 27th 09, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bob

Default Convert WD 640GB Elements FAT32 to NTFS

It's a new drive with nothing on it.
I started converting it from an Amin command prompt
about 5 hours ago.

The LED on the drive is flashing and the Task Manager
shows it's running but other than that I have no indication
that it is in fact actually running.

Below is what the command prompt window displays.
It has not changed at all in the 5 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

How long does this process usually take?

Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
624,976,672 KB total disk space.
160 KB in 5 hidden files.
32 KB in 1 folders.
32 KB in 1 files.
624,976,416 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
19,530,521 total allocation units on disk.
19,530,513 allocation units available on disk.

Determining disk space required for file system conversion...
Total disk space: 625129272 KB
Free space on volume: 624976416 KB
Space required for conversion: 843485 KB
Converting file system

Old March 28th 09, 01:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
LVTravel

"Bob" nowhere@nowhere/net wrote in message
[...]

Why convert an empty drive. Simply reformat with NTFS. Much better than
attempting the convert as there may be issues with sector boundaries. See
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Old March 28th 09, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bob

Thanks LVTravel!

That is exactly what I eventually did and it worked
like a charm.