Only boots into safe mode

Old March 29th 09, 04:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
merkat106

Default Only boots into safe mode

I have a computer I can only boot into safe mode.

I recently rebuilt a cannabolized HP computer and I cannot boot the
machine into windows. I have tried three different, working, hard drives
on it, but have had no luck. One of the drives is the original to the
machine and runs Vista Ultimate 32bit. Vista booted suceessfully prior
to the cannabolization. The second hard drive runs XP Home and also
boots into Safe Mode only. The third hard has no OS so I tried
installing a commercial version of Vista which was unsuccessful.
Computer would crash.

I ran a few hardware tests and the memory, cpu, optical drive, and hard
drive check out. I don't think anything is wrong with the motherboard as
the computer worked fine before. The computer is stable in BIOS setup,
and when booting to optical disc. No POST errors.

The hardware I added should be compatible with the motherboard
(M2n68-Narra2) as I checked with HP website.

The hardware I added:
Antec 500watt power supply, DDR2 8Gb Ram, Sony DVD drive, Samsung 640Gb
HD, Thermaltake CPU cooler, AMD X2 5600+ processor.

I am out of ideas on how to make the computer boot into Windows
normally.

--
merkat106
Old March 29th 09, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Night Hawk

merkat106;1004141 Wrote:
[...]

The problem being seen there is rather simple. You have XP and Vista
32bit editions installed while the system has 8gb of memory as well. For
seeing Vista 64bit editions installed the solution there was to remove
all but 2gb until that installation was running.

The suggestion would be to assume too much for the 4gb limit on the
32bit side and problems with any 64bit install where removing 4-6gb out
of the total installed would be the first step.

--
Night Hawk
Old March 29th 09, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
AJR

An unsuccessful normal boot - successful Safe Mode boot indicates a driver
problem. Use msconfig (startup tab) and/or select boot log at safe mode
boot - check the log to find fault.

Old March 30th 09, 04:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
merkat106

Thanks,

Got Windows 7 installed on it now

--
merkat106

Mer Hathaway,
A+ Certified &
Former in-store Circuit City firedog PC tech
Old March 30th 09, 04:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Night Hawk

Glad you saw it go on! It's a great OS seen so far from the betas run
here.

--
Night Hawk