1024x768 max screen resolution on Vista?

Old January 17th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Darth Vader4

Default 1024x768 max screen resolution on Vista?

Hi, I've recently installed Vista Ultimate in my Pc and I was surprised to
find that my only two screen resolution alternatives were 800x600 and
1024x768!. I've tried installing the graphics card drivers from Xp, and I get
all the screen resolutions supported by the card, but I received the message
saying that these drivers were known to have compatibility issues with Vista,
so the beutiful Aero was turned off.

So, weather I have Aero working at 1024x768 with the Ms drivers OR I enjoy
my screen's 1280x1024 native res. WITHOUT Aero using ATI drivers for Xp.

Is there any way to get both working together in harmony?

Thanks

I'll now give you some details about the Pc:

Processor: Celeron 1.7Ghz - 400mhz FSB

RAM: 1GB

Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9600pro - 256mb

HD: 40GB

Monitor: Philips 190b6 - 19" LCD - Native res: 1280x1024 @ 60Hz

Old January 17th 07, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Carlos

Darth Vader4:
My guess is that Vista is not "seeing" your monitor properly.
Check Device Manager and see what monitor has been detected.
Is it a "Generic PNP" (or something like that) or your Philips one?
If it is the generic one, do the "update driver" thing.
Don't know wheter Vista has native drivers for it or not.
Otherwise, check Philips site.
Carlos

Old January 17th 07, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jeff Gaines

On 17/01/2007 in message
Darth Vader4 wrote:

Hi, I've recently installed Vista Ultimate in my Pc and I was surprised to
find that my only two screen resolution alternatives were 800x600 and
1024x768!. I've tried installing the graphics card drivers from Xp, and I
get
all the screen resolutions supported by the card, but I received the
message
saying that these drivers were known to have compatibility issues with
Vista,
so the beutiful Aero was turned off.

You just need to be patient until ATI release updated drivers - and hope
they do :-)

Drivers are appearing almost hourly, it's worth checking manufacturers'
sites daily ATM.

--
Jeff Gaines
Old January 17th 07, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dirty old man

Monitors do not have drivers unless they have auto-rotate
features, or other special features. Monitors do have color
profiles for critical color applications.

The proper video card driver will solve the problem.

Old January 17th 07, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tom Lake

"dirty old man" wrote in message
Monitors do not have drivers unless they have auto-rotate
features, or other special features. Monitors do have color
profiles for critical color applications.

They DO have .inf files which tell the driver the capabilities of the
monitor.
If the inf file says the monitor can only handle up to 1024 x 768 then
that's
the max choice you'll see. If you use the Plug and Play monitor inf, you
can
sometimes get more choices since the capabilities are reported directly from
the
monitor.

Tom Lake

Old January 17th 07, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Carlos

No, it is not up to the graphic card driver to solve the problem.
Monitors do come with an installation CD.
The "driver" (though not a .sys or .dll or whatever file) is an "inf" file
which instructs the operating system about the monitor capabilities
(resolutions, refresh rate, etc.).
Additionally the driver package contains the color profile file ("icm")
which gets installed when using the inf file.
Check whatever monitor manufacturer site you like.
You will find there the inf files I am talking about (done this since
windows 95).
If the OS does not find a suitable inf file for your monitor, it will
install a Generic PNP monitor with generic capabilities (resolution, colour
depth, refresh rate, etc.)
And that I think, IMHO, what is happening to the OP.
Carlos

Old January 17th 07, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Darth Vader4

I've installed the drivers that come in the cd from philips and Vista
recognise it as Philips 190B (19inch LCD MONITOR 190B6). I've also downloaded
and installed the updated drivers for Vista RTM from ATI's website and using
the catalyst control center I was able to acces to more resolution options,
but the top is still 1024x768.

Thanks all of you for your help

Old January 18th 07, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dfeifer

Using the Catalyst Control Center, try checking to see what Freq. Your
monitor is set on. Basicly your max resolution changes as you scale the
Frequency. Directly under the frequency box listing the current, there is a
box to force change it. 60hz is the recomended freq. for this monitor, make
sure it is set on this. Or you can run 1280x1024 on 75hz, but make sure that
alternate DVI operation mode is deselected.