First Time User of RoboCopy-Syntax Question

Old May 11th 09, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SeaRay33

Default First Time User of RoboCopy-Syntax Question

This is my first post here and I have just discovered RoboCopy. I am
trying to get the following command to work in a script:

c:\Robocopy "D:\shares\TV Collections-Permanent" "E:\Shares\TV
Collections-Permanent" /MIR /Z /COPYALL /NP /R:4 /W:5
/LOG+:"C:\External-Shares.log" /TEE

The command works as expected if I use only the /Z, /NP, /R:4, or W:5
parameters. If I include the parameters /MIR, /COPYALL, /LOG+ or /TEE
either one at a time or all together the RoboCopy command fails. I have
looked at the parameters that don't work and can see nothing wrong with
the way I have used them. Obviously, there is something wrong.

The D: folder has File1 and File2
The E: folder has File1 only

Does anyone have and idea what I am doing wrong?

As I said earlier this is my first attempted use of RoboCopy so if I
have left some details out, please forgive me. I will supply any info I
inadvertently left out.

Best regards,
George

--
SeaRay33
Old May 12th 09, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

If you are trying to copy from the CMD prompt, no spaces are allowed,
you may have to enclose the full statement in double quotes, since Vista is
not in control.
I ran into this a while back and got very frustrated until I tried this.
You may also have to Run as Administrator by right clicking CMD.

Old May 12th 09, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
GTS

I don't see any obvious problem with your command line. I believe /COPYALL
is redundant when using /MIR and should be dropped. I suggest if what you
want is to mirror the directories, start by testing /MIR as your key command
in conjunction with the "/Z, /NP, /R:4, or W:5" in combinations to see what
may conflict. I would consider dropping the /Z however.
(Per MS DOC Note If you use /Z, /B, or /ZB, this can decrease Robocopy
performance and throughput significantly, as these options involve extra
overhead. These options are therefore only recommended when experience
indicates you really need them.)

Robocopy can be difficult to troubleshoot. I've seen subtle errors relating
to conflicting commands or the sequence of parameters on the command line.
I take it no errors are logged or displayed? How does the command fail?
Completely?

A manual of sorts for robocopy (robocopy.doc) is bundled with the Windows
Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. (I don't think the current version is
downloadable separately.)
It has some info on exit codes that might be of some help.

Old May 12th 09, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
GTS

FYI - Double quotes are needed around path names which contain spaces
(optional otherwise). Command line options should never be enclosed within
quotes.

Old May 12th 09, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SeaRay33

Just in case someone else looks at this I have an answer. I was trying
to use ver. 1.71 of Robocopy, an old version that does not recognize
some parameter like the /MIR parameter.
Use Version XP010 that downloads with the Server 2003 Resource Tookit.
I believe RoboCopy comes as a part of Server 2008 so if you have that OS
you don't need to download.

Hope that helps someone. I was beating my head against a brick wall
over this one. :huh:

--
SeaRay33