Please help! Multi-boot option not working anymore

Old May 12th 09, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
q5485

Default Please help! Multi-boot option not working anymore

Hi
I had successfully installed win xp pro on my pre-installed vista home
computer. When I used to boot up, I had the option of selecting one of
those 2 OS. I begun having problems with xp pro so I "repaired" it using
my xp pro cd. Now, I can't boot into either OS. Please help. I have
tinkered with the MBR, FIXMBR, FIXBOOt commands but can't get anything
to work. All I get when I boot up is the selection of Keyboards,
language and then I get a menu of options such as Repair startup, Memory
diagnostics, Recovery (to factory settings) etc., I don't have vista dvd
since it came pre-installed on my computer. I do have xp but am afraid
of re-installing xp pro since I have documents on borh drives (each
drive contains its own operating system). For example, my c drive
contains vista, (d is recovery on the same hard drive) and xp pro is on
a separate physical drive.
I can see that both drives have windows on them but I am unable to
boot. I have managed to get vistaboot pro but can't seem to run it. I
can't get xp to run nor can I get vista to run.
Any suggestions? I am sure I am not giving you full information, but if
you want, I can answer any of your questions pertaining to my setup.
Thanks in advance.
Kash

--
q5485
Old May 12th 09, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Brink

Hello Kash,

You can use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to create a Vista Recovery
Disc that you can use to boot into the "System Recovery Options" screen
to run a "Startup Repair" on Vista to repair it's boot file.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...very-disc.html

Afterwards, start at step 7 in METHOD TWO of the tutorial below to
repair the XP partition.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/22...-vista-xp.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

q5485;1042134 Wrote:
[...]

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old May 13th 09, 05:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andy

On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:08:38 -0500, q5485
wrote:

Hi
I had successfully installed win xp pro on my pre-installed vista home
computer. When I used to boot up, I had the option of selecting one of
those 2 OS. I begun having problems with xp pro so I "repaired" it using
my xp pro cd. Now, I can't boot into either OS. Please help.

When you boot from the hard drive, how far into the boot process do
you get? Can you describe what you see on the monitor?

I have
tinkered with the MBR, FIXMBR, FIXBOOt commands but can't get anything
to work. All I get when I boot up is the selection of Keyboards,
language and then I get a menu of options such as Repair startup, Memory
diagnostics, Recovery (to factory settings) etc.,

You see this menu of options when booting from the hard drive, or from
some DVD?

I don't have vista dvd
since it came pre-installed on my computer.

If you want a standard installation DVD that allows you to repair
Vista startup, download the Windows 7 RC ISO file and burn it to a DVD
blank.

I do have xp but am afraid
of re-installing xp pro since I have documents on borh drives (each
drive contains its own operating system). For example, my c drive
contains vista, (d is recovery on the same hard drive) and xp pro is on
a separate physical drive.

Since XP is on a separate drive, try booting the computer from that
disk drive by pressing a function key (typically F11 or F12) during
Post that allows you to override the default boot drive, and selecting
the XP drive.

Old May 13th 09, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"q5485" wrote in message

[...]

You can get the Startup Repair Features either by downloading this .iso and
burning them it here

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

or by simply downloading and burning the Windows 7 .iso from he

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

The top link is faster because it's only 120 MB and can be burned to a CD or
DVD while the bottom link is 2.5+GB.

YOu may be able to repair this by choosing the command prompt from the
Startup Repair menu and running these 3 switches:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...airstartup.htm

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Good luck,

CH

Old May 13th 09, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
q5485

Hi Shawn & Others
Many thanks for offering to help me.
First, when I boot up, I do see Vista's System Recovery Options (after
selecting keyboard and language). But none of the other options in the
menu seem to work.
For instance, the option to do startup repairs (the 1st one in that
list) does not repair the startup. I am afraid to do complete recovery
(one of the other options) as I will lose all of my data.
I did try the 3 switches as mentioned by CH (bootrec /fix mbr, bootrec
/fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd). The 1st 2 worked but it could not
find any Vista installations in the 3rd switch.
For all 3 switches, it did say operation completed successfully but for
the 3rd switch it said: Total Identified Windows Installations: 0

Even in the recovery options window, it could not locate any windows
installations on any drive, nor could it find any backup or restore
files. In that window where it is searching for windows installations, I
see 2 tabs ("Load Drivers" and "Next") but there is no vista
installation listed. When I click on "load drivers", I get into
X:\windows\system32 sub-directory but I have no idea which drivers to
select from my hard drive. Apparently, I need to load drivers for my
hard drives (Hitachi & Western Digital).
I have a feeling that my MBR is corrupted. I attempted to "repair" xp
before, and I am not able to boot to the drive containing xp. Once I can
see the xp desktop, I can then install vistaboot pro and attempt to
repair mbr so that I can get vista up & running.
I am sure there is an easier way. Do I have to change the primary
partition to "bootable" or ??? I also have the ultimate boot loader disc
which I have using to get somethings to work but have not been
successful.

To answer the question, what do I see when I boot up? I get the option
of booting from my cd, which I don't. Then I get the option to select my
language and keyboard. After that I see the System Recovery Options (I
presume, from my vista). Somehow, it cannot find my vista installation.

I am trying to avoid re-installation of xp pro since I want to retain
my documents folder and my outlook express settings (on my xp pro)
drive. I cannot reinstall vista since I don't have any installation
dvds.

Thanks for your suggestion and I am sure we will find a way.
Kash

--
q5485
Old May 13th 09, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

"q5485" wrote in message

[...]

Hi q--

None of the startup repair options I gave you are going to "lose" anything.
They're not designed to lose anything. If you were to use a system restore
option somewhere in the hierarchy of my directions, the most that would
happen is that you'd lose desktop shortcuts or folders you created on the
desktop or elsewhere or hotfixes and updates deployed only since that
particular restore point. SR doesn't track data, and again none of the
options in the panoply of Startup Repair tools or at the F8 Windows Advanced
Options Menu loses anything other than the qualification I gave you that's
insignficant with System Restore.

I'm not sure what you mean by complete recovery in terms of what I gave you,
but if the word recovery is not part of what I gave you, and it were an OEM
recovery disc or partition, then you'd go back to factory settings and would
have a virgin Vista without any of your stuff. I think you are talking
about the option to use a full backup if and only if you'd created one via
Vista's Complete Backup option in the first place. My problem with it and
Acronis and other backups is that sometimes people can't recover from the
compressed folders they make, and what they made is hard to ID whereas
backups to media are what you see what you get, easily retrieved and ID'd.

The Startup Repair disc you've made or the Vista disc should be bootable
without going to bios setup but it takes a second and you can make sure that
nothing is in the way of booting from the CD if you made a startup repair
disc or DVD if you're using a Vista or there is an option to download a Win
7 DVD now with RC1 available, but I don't know why you'd need to do that
since it's at lest 2.5 GB to 3+ for Win 7 64 and the startup repair option
from my link is in MB and much smaller.

I also pass on these options from SIW2 that could help.

You could try getting hold of bootsect.exe ( it's not on the Neosmart
repair cd).

It is in the bin folder of the free Easybcd. 'Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 -
NeoSmart Technologies' (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

Copy bootsect.exe to a cd.

Boot the repair cd to command prompt, find the drive letter for your
dvd drive by typing:

X:sourcesDiskpart {enter}

Diskpart lis vol {enter}

make a note of the dvd drive letter.

Diskpart exi {enter}

Remove the repair cd and put in the cd containing bootsect.exe

Follow instructions at Step 3 he

'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies
Wiki'
(http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD)

and

You might try running checkdisk from the command prompt :

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html

Otherwise, you could try booting from the 7 dvd and installing it to
the partition you created - it should add Vista as a boot option.

'Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html)

and additionally

You can d/l this free app. from the nice people at Paragon - it burns
itself to cd.

'FREE Rescue Kit 9.0 Express - Don't wait for disaster, get instant
data recovery software!'
(http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/)

Boot the cd - use the File Transfer Wizard to save anything you need
before reinstalling.

Best,

CH

Old May 14th 09, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
q5485

Hi Chad

I am going to try your suggestions. This is what I have discovered so
far. I can see both windows applications and windows xp pro on my 2 hard
drives. I can even list the files on my xp pro and the "recovery"
portion of the vista hard drive. I am unable to list the files on my
vista system. It says file system may be corrupted or damaged. I think
some record (MBR maybe?) for vista may be damaged and the system can't
boot up from the vista hard drive. When I try to boot up from the xp
hard drive, I see the windows logo (not the "welcome to windows" screen)
and then it restarts it at that time. I managed to even get the options
of the safe mode but none of them work. When I try to "disable automatic
restart upon system failure" I get a BSOD with the message to the effect
of invalid disk mount or something like that. My guess is that it is
looking for a vista system but can't find it.
I will try again with the vista repair and see if I can get anywhere.
This is very frustrating and I have spent more than 2 days figuring this
out. I just don't want to lose my data on the 2 hard drives.
Thanks so much.
Kash

--
q5485
Old May 14th 09, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
q5485

HI CHad
I followed your instructions and created a cd with vista bootloader and
another cd with bootsec.exe on it. When I try rebuilding bcd, I get the
error:
Volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that
all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not
corrupted.

Isn't vista on a NTFS file system? That's the one that shows up for my
vista hard drive. Or is the file system something else for vista? I have
kept all of my OS on NTFS systems.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Kash

--
q5485
Old May 14th 09, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
SIW2

Chad Harris;1042680 Wrote:
"q5485" wrote in message

[...]

snip

[...]

-
NeoSmart Technologies' ('Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart

(http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...+from+the+DVD))

(http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-7-a.html))

q5485;1043246 Wrote:
HI CHad
I followed your instructions and created a cd with vista bootloader and
another cd with bootsec.exe on it. When I try rebuilding bcd, I get the
error:
Volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that
all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not
corrupted.

Isn't vista on a NTFS file system? That's the one that shows up for my
vista hard drive. Or is the file system something else for vista? I have
kept all of my OS on NTFS systems.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Kash

Hi Kash,

You could try running chkdsk /r at thecommand prompt.

Also worth making sure the Vista partition is marked as active, like
this:

X:\sourcesDiskpart

DISKPART sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART sel par 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART detail par

Partition 1
Type : 07
Hidden: No
Active: Yes
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status
Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- ---------
--------
* Volume 1 C Vistax64 NTFS Partition 30 GB Healthy
System

DISKPART

If it is not shown as Active, type

DISKPARTact

DISKPARTexi

Then try the commands Chad posted.

--
SIW2
Old May 14th 09, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
q5485

Hi Chad & SIW2

Many thanks for your suggestions. It finally worked. I now have vista
home premium working on my C: drive.
I entered vistaboot pro on my c: drive and changed the bootloader so
that I have the option of selecting an OS (Vista or XP).

I think I am back to square one, where I started. When I select the XP
system (now listed on D Drive), I see the list of drivers being executed
followed by the Windows logo. After a few seconds, the system crashes
and restarts. In other words, I don't see "Welcome to Windows" on a blue
background. How do I repair the Win XP Pro installation? If you can
help me in that regard, that would be great. I am happy though that I
did get the vista back, and it's all due to your efforts.
Thank you ONCE AGAIN!!!

Also, what are things I can do to prevent such a recurrence? Backups of
what? Any other suggestion that you can think of (in addition to steps
for repairing my xp pro)?

Kash

--
q5485