Windows Installation Error

Old May 21st 09, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dtmack

Default Windows Installation Error

I am working on a computer with Windows Vista. Some of the registry files got
corrupt and I didn't have OS disk (Vista) but I did have XP. So I tried
installing XP and it got stuck at a certain point and now it won't let me
finish the installation. It stopped at installing Windows. Please Help!!!
I now have a Vista OS disk

Old May 21st 09, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dtmack

it doesn't recognize it

It is asking for XP disk, but when I put the disk in I receive a fatal error
msg.
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be
installed

Access is denied

Old May 21st 09, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mark H[_2_]

Well I won't go into using sledgehammers to open your front door...

At this point,
1. I hope you have a backup of your data.
2. Is this retail, OEM or upgrade license keys?
3. Are you trying to "upgrade" or clean install?

Old May 21st 09, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Mark H[_2_]

Assuming you can do a clean install, put in the Vista disk and select the
options to remove the primary partition.
Then, recreate the primary partition.

It should work from that point.

Old May 21st 09, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dtmack

Ok let me put some clarity in my situation. Originally, I had Vista on my pc
and I tried to install XP on it because I didn't have a Vista disk. During
the installation of XP it stopped because certain files wouldn't copy over
and I am assuming it was because of compatibility issues.
Now setup won't go any further. It keeps prompting me for XP disk, which I
put in it, but to no avail because I keep getting errors. I just want to
format it, but when it reboots it comes up to the setup page and won't let me
do anything

Old May 21st 09, 07:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
David B.[_3_]

You need to boot your computer from the Vista installation DVD, delete and
recreate the primary partition, and install Vista.

Old May 21st 09, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dtmack

Ok gentleman,

Thanks for taking the time to help me resolve my issue. I finally got it up
and running now. I ran system diagnostics and then I put the OS disk in and
it worked.

I hope this helps someone out in the future