How to increase system system performance

Old June 13th 09, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Curious[_4_]

Default How to increase system system performance

I have never seen any evidence or even ever heard of Windows creating any
"Temp" files on any drive when loading an application. If you run Excel it
loads excel.exe in memory and then loads or creates a new .xls spreadsheet
file in memory there are no other/temp files created.

"Tae Song" wrote in message

"Pegasus [MVP]" wrote in message

"Tae Song" wrote in message

OK very last post on this subject... hopefully.

I'm sorry I don't have benchmarks to back up the any claim... I'm just
too lazy to do one and I can't seem to find a free storage benchmark
program that I like. Actually I don't really care, I just like this
setup, it works for me.

Not very scientific but there you go.

In other words: You like the slow-down you designed for your machine and
you insist telling everyone about it, dressing it up as the greatest
thing since sliced bread. Do you really expect anyone to believe your
claims when, by your own admission, you're too lazy to verify them?

I thought up a better way to illustrate my point, so I didn't resist
posting this... shame on me.

When loading an application, Windows reads files from the hard drive into
memory while creating temp files. That's read throughput (hard drive) +
write throughput (USB drive) is greater than the throughput of hard drive
alone. It's not a competition about which drive is faster. And read and
write operations described previously can occur side-by-side, where as on
the hard drive read and write would have to be queued.

(Temp files on flash drive)
USB ++++*
HD ----------

(Temp files on hard drive)
USB
HD --o++-------

o = overhead for extra seeks associated with having the temp files on the
hard drive.

* I put in an extra ++ for temp files on flash drive since writes are
slower and also to illustrate why it doesn't matter.

I did think up of what I thought was the best way to benchmark and
illustrate the performance difference. It requires the setup of identical
hardware to isolate any variables down to just the temp file locations.
It would be preferable to have one set of input devices for both computers
so they are getting the same input at the same time. But I just don't
have that kind of money.

Anyways, even if I did tons of benchmarks on MY hardware. It doesn't mean
you will get the same results on YOUR hardware. You will just have to
test out the idea for yourself, unless you don't want to find out on your
own.

Old June 13th 09, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Gordon[_9_]

"Curious" wrote in message
I have never seen any evidence or even ever heard of Windows creating any
"Temp" files on any drive when loading an application. If you run Excel
it loads excel.exe in memory and then loads or creates a new .xls
spreadsheet file in memory there are no other/temp files created.

If you open a Word Document, Word will create a temp copy of the file in the
same folder that the original document exists. That's one of the main
reasons why users are advised NOT to open Word documents direct from
removable media....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old June 13th 09, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Curious[_4_]

I understand that current releases of some office products create temp
versions of their own documents when you start editing them. But it is the
application program(Word) creating them and not Windows itself as Tae Song
claimed.

Old June 13th 09, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Gord Dibben

Excel does the same thing.

A temp file is created for each workbook opened.

When the workbook is closed the temp file is deleted.............most
timesg

With a workbook open browse to

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

You will find an ~123x456.xar file

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old June 13th 09, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Curious[_4_]

You are correct. I should not have used an Office product as an example of
what happens with any Windows based application since the Office
applications themselves create temp files as you describe.

Old June 13th 09, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Patrick Keenan

"Tae Song" wrote in message

"Bill in Co." wrote in message
Tae Song wrote:
I thought I would share this with you all, a few little tricks to boost
Windows performance.

If you have a spare USB flash drive or you are willing to get a cheap
say
1GB flash drive.

First we plug in the flash drive.

Go to Disk Manager and assign it a drive letter, like Z: (this is just
get it out of the way and optional)

Go to Advanced system settings, Evironment variables.

Change the Temp variable under User to Z:\ (I didn't see any point
creating
folders, but that's optional)

Change the Temp variable under System variable to Z:\

This will cut down on I/O traffic to the hard drive. Starting an app
like
Word, would cause the HD to read the program into memory while at the
same
time writing into the drive, temporary files. This causes an I/O queue
form and degrade Windows performance. By off loading some of the I/O
traffic to another storage device, the hard drive read/write head
doesn't
have to move around as much either. All performance gains.

I don't think so!! There will be a performance LOSS, in large part due
to the much longer write times to a flash drive. Also, it's generally a
poor idea to have so many continuous writes to a flash drive, as flash
drives have a more limited number of write cycles.

snip rest of this post

You don't need an extremely high write speed. A lot of times temp files
are just empty files, many are 0 bytes. Almost all are under 700KB. Even
at a write speed of of say a low of 5MB/s is still only a fraction of a
sec.

This keeps the read/write head from thrashing about creating and updating
file records.

And just to up the ante, I enabled disk compression on the USB drives to
reduce the size of the writes.

Reducing the size of the writes won't affect the time it takes and certainly
will not alter the fact that Flash technology has a limited number of write
cycles. If you're using it as a temp drive, you are ensuring that a flash
drive will fail *sooner* rather than later.

Flash drives aren't appropriate for filesystem utility use. They can only
be relied on for convenient transfer of data that exists elsewhere.