Which graphics card for Aero?

Old January 24th 07, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Phil Chapman

Default Which graphics card for Aero?

Hi all,

I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC, but the graphics card does not
support Aero. I'm not interested in playing 3D games - all I want is to
watch DVD films and use Media Centre and Aero features. Can anyone suggest
a suitable AGP graphics card?

My computer has 1280MB RAM and an Asus A7A266 motherboard - I purchased it
in 2001.

Thanks

Old January 24th 07, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CJM

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote in message
Look at any new graphics card.. 256mb is good..

Yeah, even a 256Mb X1300 or 7300 will be more than enough for Aero
Glass/Dvds

Old January 24th 07, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Aero only requires a graphics card with 128MB of memory. My onboard Intel
graphics chip with up to its max of 128MB of memory allocated works fine
with Aero. It did not work when I had onl 64MB allocated.

Old January 24th 07, 06:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dirty old man

I have the nVidia 7600GS 256 MB PCI-e card (about $90.00 or less)
I'm not a gamer, but AERO and FLIP 3D work great.
WEI of 4.9 graphics and 4.9 gaming.

Old January 24th 07, 07:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Roy Coorne

dirty old man wrote:
I have the nVidia 7600GS 256 MB PCI-e card (about $90.00 or less)
I'm not a gamer, but AERO and FLIP 3D work great.
WEI of 4.9 graphics and 4.9 gaming.

Even a nVidia 6200 128 MB (not TurboCache!) AGP provides Aero and Flip 3D.

Roy

Old January 28th 07, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert Firth

Except 64mb is the minimum required. 128mb is the more the minimum
recommended. I could run it on my ATI mobility radeon x300 w/ 64mb of
memory, 512mb of system memory. Of course, I've upgraded system memory since
then, but Aero works fine on that configuration.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

Old January 29th 07, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

64 MB was the minimum before RC2 . AFAIK with RC2 and the RTM release the
minimum changed to 128.

Old January 26th 07, 06:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SAM-R

If you are looking at Nvidia Video Cards, I would hold off to see what
Nvidia is going to support with there drivers. The Vista DVD supports Aero
with the 5000 Series Video Cards and a lot of people bought them because
they were inexpensive. With the release of the 97.46 Drivers, Nvidia dropped
support for Aero in the 5000 Series Cards. Maybe they will drop support for
the 6000 Series as well.
One thing not mentioned is your Power Supply. You need at least a 300W Power
Supply to run a 6000 Series Card.