CPU

Old November 11th 09, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
wayneP

Default CPU

I posted this in another newsgroup and it was suggested that I should post
in a video etc. group as well.

I'm assembling the components to upgrade this machine (it is a 939 mobo with
a nForce3 chip and early releases of Windows7 didn't play well with the
chipset). I'm not a gamer, I don't need the latest and greatest cpu and I
don't plan on any overclocking. The most demanding things I do are video
recoding of HDTV, some audio recoding and some simple image editing.

I already have a mobo that takes AM3 processors and DDR2 memory. I'm
considering a Athlon II x4 or a Phenom II x3 both running at 2.6. They are
about the same price and the only difference, other than the cores, is the
L3 cache. The Athlons don't have any and the Phenoms have 6 MB.

What are your opinions? Will I see any difference in the performance in my
real world situations?

Old November 12th 09, 08:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Graham Hughes

I'm not up on AMD processors, but if all you are doing is recoding then if
it doesn't really matter if it takes 5 minutes or 20 minutes to recode a
piece of video then you could go for either.
On the other hand, it takes a much better processor to succesfully play HDTV
video on your machine.
In Intel world a high end core2 processor or i7 would play recorded hdtv
fine.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

Old November 12th 09, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
d3aths3rver

Most video, simple video editing and audio recoding are multi-threaded
programs right now, (look under options or look at support for your
programs to find out if they support this) I've found video editing of
HD content considerably better when used in conjunction with a cpu
boasting more cores, and the benchmarks reflect this also.

Phenom's are considered the better processor in this class. The L3
cache will play a small part in boosting speeds this is because L3 cache
(normally bigger than L2 or L1) shortens the time to run highly accessed
programs, this would benefit you especially in audio and video editing
using deinterlacing and other key features. But ultimately I would
suggest a Phenom II x4 as it is a newer architecture offering faster
speeds.
This being said, you should see an increase in performance because you
were talking about upgrading your "old" CPU with one of these new ones.
If you are into video and picture editing look for programs that
support the use of your GPU (assuming you have a graphics card) this
will speed up your editing results considerably, multifaceted with a new
CPU and you cant go wrong. Just make sure your RAM is up to the task of
video, audio and picture editing (anything less than 2GB is a crime -
4GB recommended, 8GB will breathe new life into your machine {provided
its 64-bit}) Hope I gave you some more thoughts, AMD CPU prices are
getting cheaper keep your eye out for a bargain mate.

--
d3aths3rver

Old November 12th 09, 10:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
d3aths3rver

"wayneP" me@newsgroup wrote in message
[...]

You do not need a high end CPU to play back HDTV content. I suggest
getting a dedicated graphics card for this. For $50 US you get all you
need an ATI radeon HD3400 or 3600 is all you need for basic tasks. A
high end CPU in "intel world" starts at a around $100 US and can be
found for over $1000+ for the highest end. AMD you will get your "bang
for buck" and trust that you will have a supported chipset with the ATI
HD3600. remember getting a graphics card can help with your video and
audio/ picture editing (if the program supports it ie adobe photoshop)
Windows 7 will also help use a GPU's processing power. And im surprised
that your pc cant support it currently as it really should. "ive already
tested it on a Celeron"

--
d3aths3rver

Old November 12th 09, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
wayneP

"d3aths3rver" wrote in message

[...]

It's not the processor with Windows 7; it's my nForce3 mobo. I haven't tried
Windows 7 since RC1; so the problems may have been fixed. But at the time
nVidia indicated that they were not going to provide support for the chipset
in Windows 7. The onboard ethernet didn't function in Windows 7 RC1 and
there were other issues which I don't remember.

My current Athlon x2 4200 and nVidia 6200 are fine using BeyondTV for HDTV.
The combo doesn't work worth a damn with Vista Media Center with OTA HDTV
and Vista doesn't support QAM tuners. I expect that BeyondTV (Snapstream
Media) will be exiting the consumer business in the near future; so I'd like
to be able to play around with the Windows 7 Media Center as a substitute.