Vista XP dual boot

Old November 18th 09, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul Lower

Default Vista XP dual boot

Hi
I have 3 hard drives with XP on "C" and Vista on "E". "D" just contains the
overspill from "C".
I want to get rid of XP as I am not using it anymore but have found that "C"
contains the MBR.
Does anybody know how to transfer the MBR and have the system booting from
Vista.
Cheers
Paul

Old November 18th 09, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jon

"Paul Lower" wrote in message
Hi
I have 3 hard drives with XP on "C" and Vista on "E". "D" just contains
the overspill from "C".
I want to get rid of XP as I am not using it anymore but have found that
"C" contains the MBR.
Does anybody know how to transfer the MBR and have the system booting from
Vista.
Cheers
Paul

Each hard drive generally has its own MBR. You can set which hard drive to
boot from via the bios boot order eg switching it to the Vista disk.

Unless of course you meant different partitions on one hard drive, which
would be a different kettle of fish altogether ....

--
Jon

Old November 18th 09, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dominic Payer[_2_]

In your BIOS, set the physical disk which has the E partition (Vista
will see it as C) as the primary boot hard disk.

Then see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392, boot from the Vista DVD
and at the command prompt run Bootrec /FixMBR and Bootrec /FixBoot.
These commands will write a boot record to the disk holding E and make
it bootable.

You may need to disconnect the current C disk, or delete the partition
on it, before running the commands to ensure the boot record is written
to the disk you want.

Old November 18th 09, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul Lower[_2_]

Hi
Thankyou for your reply. I will try that.
Cheers
Paul