32 bit to 64bit

Old December 2nd 09, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
JBrown

Default 32 bit to 64bit

Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64 bit?

Thank you,

Old December 2nd 09, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John

I have no problem with 32-bit software running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
version. The majority of software are still 32-bit. They run just fine on
64-bit OS.

Old December 2nd 09, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Blanche Starinski

"JBrown" wrote in message
Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64 bit?

Thank you,

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems running 32 bit software on Windows 7 64
bit.

Old December 2nd 09, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Fuzzy Logic

"Blanche Starinski" wrote in
:

"JBrown" wrote in message
Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64
bit?

Thank you,

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems running 32 bit software on Windows
7 64 bit.

Device drivers can be an issue. For example if you have an older printer you may not be able to find a printer
driver that will work.
Old December 2nd 09, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Blake, MVP

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:42:56 -0500, "JBrown"
wrote:

Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64 bit?

Yes.

And if it didn't, there would be almost no applications to run under a
64-bit operating system. There are as yet very few 64-bit
applications.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old December 2nd 09, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gls858

JBrown wrote:
Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64 bit?

Thank you,

As other have said, most will. I had Trend Micro Internet Suite 2009. It
would not run on Windows 7 64bit, BUT the new version did. It kind of
ticked me off and I wasn't real happy with the last couple of version of
Trend anyway. It's become over priced and bloated. I switched.

gls858
Old December 2nd 09, 09:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Blake, MVP

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:41:46 -0800, Fuzzy Logic
wrote:

"Blanche Starinski" wrote in
:

"JBrown" wrote in message
Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64
bit?

Thank you,

Yes, you shouldn't have any problems running 32 bit software on Windows
7 64 bit.

Device drivers can be an issue. For example if you have
an older printer you may not be able to find a printer
driver that will work.

That's certainly true, but not relevant to the question "Will 32 bit

Old December 3rd 09, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Joe Morris

"John" a wrote:
"JBrown" wrote:

Will 32 bit software work on a 64 bit system running Windows 7 64 bit?

I have no problem with 32-bit software running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
version. The majority of software are still 32-bit. They run just fine on
64-bit OS.

Change the reference from "software" to "application software" and I'll
agree. Most run-of-the-mill 32-bit applications should be fine.

OTOH, any program that likes to poke into the guts of the operating system
(antivirus, firewall, defrag, device drivers, etc.) or that uses programming
tricks that aren't documented are at risk unless they're explicitly marked
as compatible with a 64-bit platform.

Note that there are some odd corners in the 64-bit world, such as having two
copies of Internet Explorer, which (assuming that you want to run Java)
require that you install both the 32-bit and 64-bit JRE kits, one for each
IE flavor.

If you're asking about running software for your employer, you'll also need
to ask if the software is *supported* in a 64-bit environment. The version
of some application that you're currently running may work smoothly on a
64-bit Windows platform, but if it's a mission-critical application and it
does break, the vendor may say "tough" even if you have a maintenance
contract.

Joe Morris

Old December 3rd 09, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Natéag[_4_]

Yes. There may be some exceptions but everything works fine
on my computer.

Most utilities do not.

Norton Ghost, Acronie TrueImage, for instance have to be upgraded
- that is purchased.

discussion : ...

Old December 3rd 09, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John

"Joe Morris" wrote in message
Note that there are some odd corners in the 64-bit world, such as having
two copies of Internet Explorer

I believe that's for backward compatibility. Flash player is one good
example. It doesn't run on IE 64bit browser. It does, however, run smoothly
on IE 32bit.