Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Suspected Windows Mail Corruption

Old March 3rd 10, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Lloyd

Default Suspected Windows Mail Corruption

I was using windows mail very successfully for the last 4 months and had no
problems. Then a week ago I generated a group of 35 different mails under a
name and tried to send a normal e-mail to these 35 different people. Windows
mail would not let me. it came up with an error.
I checked with my internet and e-mail provider (Comcast) and confirmed all
server settings in windows mail were correct. I then tested it by sending a
test e-mail to myself via Comcast's "Smart Zone" communications and that
worked fine. So I then tried to send a normal e-mail via windows mail to one
person and received the following error message;

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'This is a test', Account:
'mail.comcast.net (1)', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The subject of my e-mail was 'This is a test' and the incoming and outgoing
servers in windows mail are 'mail.comcast.net(1)' and 'smtp.concast.net'
respectively.

I then thought well I'll have to use Outlook Express and pay the fee but
then found out Microsoft vista doesn't support Outlook Express. I'm very
frustrated can anyone help. Thanks
Old March 3rd 10, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
mac

"Lloyd" wrote in message
[...]

Go to the advanced tab of your Comcast account and change the SMTP Port
number from 25 to 587applyOK

Also see:
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...ress-for-email

For complete settings.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

Old March 3rd 10, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Lloyd

I tried that already and used 587 as well as 25 as the SMTP port numbers and
neither of them worked. That's why the Comcast support people that helped me
suspect a corruption in my windows mail They said that windows mail cannot
handle an e-mail with so many (35) addresses. They didn't know the limit but
thought it was 20.

Also, is it true that Vista doesn't support Outlook Express?

Old March 3rd 10, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

The subject of my e-mail was 'This is a test' and the incoming and
outgoing
servers in windows mail are 'mail.comcast.net(1)' and 'smtp.concast.net'
respectively.
/Q

It "concast" just a typo in your post, or in your settings?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

news

Old March 3rd 10, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Lloyd

That was a typo of mine -- it was smtp.comcast.net and was correct.

Do you know if there is a limit to the number of email addresses windows
mail can handle on one email? Do you know how I can see if my windows mail
is corrupted?

Also do you if Vista can run Outlook Express?

Thanks,

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

The subject of my e-mail was 'This is a test' and the incoming and
outgoing
servers in windows mail are 'mail.comcast.net(1)' and 'smtp.concast.net'
respectively.
/Q

It "concast" just a typo in your post, or in your settings?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

news

.

Old March 3rd 10, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

There is no recipient limit in Windows Mail. Comcast would set the limit.
I found this, but it doesn't mention a per message limit.

==================
Comcast Email Send & SMTP Limits
Below you can find the Comcast email send or rate limit for Comcast high
speed internet customers. Please note that Comcast can also block port 25
for your connection (triggering the error message: "Error #1:
Port25.Secure(SSL); no Socket Error: 10053. Error Number 0x800CC0F"), in
order to prevent you (or viruses on your computer) from sending emails
using your own SMTP agent:
Comcast email send limit - no more than 1000 recipients per day
Comcast other SMTP limits - max 10mb per message
Comcast email-outbound policy -
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...uritySpam17867
Comcast SMTP restriction expiry method - the restriction is automatically
lifted 24 hours after the email send limit was reached.
====================

It may not be the cause of your current problem, but Comcast started
selectively blocking port 25 more than a year ago, and most of their not
so techy support technicians are even aware of it. Comcast rates among the
worst tech support there is.

Change the SMTP port to 587 and make su My Server Requires
Authentication is checked.

How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live
Mail for Comcast email?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2288

Vista cannot run OE. Among the MS e-mail clients, it can use Windows Mail,
(obviously), Windows Live Mail, (the successor to OE and Windows Mail),
and MS Office Outlook. None of these have any limit on recipients and the
account settings are the same.

I have never seen a corrupted Windows Mail per sé. Some things you can
try:

Remove the account completely, reboot and add it back in.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

The subject of my e-mail was 'This is a test' and the incoming and
outgoing
servers in windows mail are 'mail.comcast.net(1)' and
'smtp.concast.net'
respectively.
/Q

It "concast" just a typo in your post, or in your settings?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

news

Old March 4th 10, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Comcast tech support is incompetent.
Mail programs like Windows Mail do not have a recipient limit.
Vista does not support Outlook Express.

Please post the complete error message you get when using port 587.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com