DVD drive not working

Old January 31st 07, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bowling255

Default DVD drive not working

My dvd drive has stopped working when I go to device manager is says
CODE 10 this device cannot start.
Old January 31st 07, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bowling255

Ok I figured it out it was the Norton 360 beta after I uninstalled it they
worked again.

Old January 31st 07, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Interesting -- I'm running the Public Beta of Norton 360 and my two
DVDs work OK .....

Old February 1st 07, 02:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bowling255

And it must have been the reason my computer would not shutdown or restart
too because as soon as i unisalled it i could use my 2 dvd drives and can
restart my computer now.

Old February 1st 07, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Not necessarily related but in case you run into it, I had to update
the firmware on one of my Plextor DVD burners before VISTA Setup would
run. Said it couldn't find a DVD drive .....

Old February 7th 07, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neek

I seem to be having a similar problem. I bought a laptop with Vista already
installed. The cd/dvd drive seemed to be working ok, however last night it
stopped working. Now there is no dvd drive in my control panel. It says that
the driver is corrupt. I have uninstalled the drive, and installed again, but
it says i have the most up to date driver... but that it's not connected. I
really don't know much about computers... (learning)... but when i plug my
phone in to the USB port a second F: removable drive appears also (DVD??) but
it still doesn't work. I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 and Norton security.

If someone could please tell (very basically) what i need to do... or should
i just take it back to where i bought it?

Thanks for your help.

Old February 8th 07, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hugh Wyn Griffith

If you've only just bought it and it is not working I'd take it back to the
store right away and either get it replaced or repaired. Optical drives do tend
to fail unpredictably and they are expensive to replace.

but when i plug my*phone in to the USB port a second F: removable drive

appears also (DVD??) but*it still doesn't work

I believe it is not unusual for devices plugged into USB to be regarded as
drives and given a letter -- it is probably treating your SIM card as a memory
device, which it is.

But how to use that is really a matter for the phone manufacturer. I know I have
not succeeded in getting my PC and my Nokia phone to talk to each other.

Old February 25th 07, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mjh

I have the exact same problem. DVD/CD quit working. Code 10, cannot start?
Can anyone help with this? Delete and reinstall does not help. Driver update
does not help... Help is appreciated. Thanx in advance!

Old March 31st 07, 11:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ultravixon

Hi there, Just experienced the same problem, but by looking through other
discussion groups found out it was itunes 7 which was causing the problem...
it just not compatible with vista yet!. I uninstalled it and eveything works
again! Hopefully you have resolved the problem already but thought i'd let
anyone else know who is having the same problems.