Vista won't recognize HDD

Old January 31st 07, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ryetronics

Default Vista won't recognize HDD

I have a dual boot configuration of XP and Vista, with each OS on
their own respective HDD's. I also have a 3rd HDD that has all of my
media documents on it. Through XP, that media drive is linked to [My
Documents]. But when I try to access that drive in Vista, it is
listed as Offline. When I right-click on it in Computer Management,
my only options are Convert to Basic, Properties and Help.

Obviously I don't want to have to change the drive to Basic as I'll
lose my files, but why is it that Vista won't recognize it as being
online when it's Dynamic? Is it because it's already linked to My
Documents through my XP setup?

Anyone know of a solution here that doesn't involve reformatting the
media drive?
Thanks!

Old February 1st 07, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ned Buckmaster

You did not load Ultimate or one of the business versions of Vista, right?
Only Ultimate or business vista knows how to access a dynamic drive...even
though you are allowed to create one with XP MCE...

Ned

ups.com...

Old February 1st 07, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave B.

Any actual documentation on this? From the limited info I could find on the
subject it looked like all versions of Vista support dynamic disks.

--
----
http://www.db-pc.com

Old February 1st 07, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave B.

Ok. If you look at this brief article describing basic and dynamic disks, it
says it applies to all versions of Vista.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...621ce1033.mspx
I can't find a definite answer.
--
----

Old February 2nd 07, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
nibbley

Here is the best I can come up with
Go to the command prompt and try this:

1.. Type:
diskpart

2.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
list disk

Make note of the disk number of the disk that you want to bring online.

3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
select disk n

4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
online

where "n" is the dynamic disk

Cheers this is the best that I have.
Chuck

Old February 2nd 07, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Raven Blade

I am in the same boat as the topic creator. Where my hard drive (the one in
which no OS is installed), shows up as offline and cannot be reactivated
within Disk Management. I had attempted the below solution before reading
this and can assure you it does not work. Problem is that it's not simply
listed as offline within DiskPart but as "invalid". Thus an error message
occurs when trying to online the disk drive because it is invalid.

I have yet to discover a solution to this problem that does not require
backing up and formatting the hard drive, which is something I'd hate to do.
If anybody can come up with an answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, nibbley, but that one just didn't work.

Old February 2nd 07, 01:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Does the drive appear normally in your BIOS?

"Dave B." wrote in message
Any actual documentation on this? From the limited info I could find
on
the subject it looked like all versions of Vista support dynamic
disks.

--
----
Crosspost, do not multipost

Old February 2nd 07, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Raven Blade

JW, the drive shows up on my BIOS as a secondary SATA Drive. Indeed it shows
up not only in the BIOS, it also shows up in XP (when I boot up using XP),
and it is also shown in the Vista Device manager under storage disks despite
the fact that it is unrecognized and invalid in the diskpart list.

Quite a quandary.