Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Windows Vista Mail send

Old September 10th 10, 10:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rogerfree

Default Windows Vista Mail send

Operating windows mail.

Upto 6 sept operating receive and send OK.

Since 6 sept receive OK but can't send. Gte error message as follows:

Account: mail.btinternet.com, Protocol SMPT, Server Response'421 service not
available; ceasing transmission' Port 25, Secure (SSL); No, server error 421,
Eror number 0x800CC0F

I have tried setting a restore point to mid august incase resent updates
have caused the problem but no help.

I am contacting you on a different computer where I use outlook.
Old September 10th 10, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Your error message was obviously hand-typed, since it contains several
typos (example: SMPT instead of SMTP).
When you get an error message, right-click on it, copy, then paste it into
a reply here. Only a verbatim error message is useful for troubleshooting.

Try this:
Make sure you have send authentication enabled.
Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers.
Enable the "My server requires authentication" option.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Old September 10th 10, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rogerfree

AS requested below is a copy of the message.

My server requires authentication is already enabled.

inactivity. Subject ' hellooooo!!!', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com',
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Service
not available ; Closing transmission', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Old September 11th 10, 03:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Your mail account in Windows Mail may be corrupted. One thing you
should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that mail account,
restart Windows Mail, then recreate that account.

If that doesn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time. Make sure your antivirus is not configured to
scan emails.

As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Old September 11th 10, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Wendell Perry

Hello:

I having problems as of last night that I can't send an email. I called my
service provider and spend 3 hours over 3 telephone calls only to be told
there is nothing wrong with their server or my settings and my problems must
be with Microsoft . Hers is my error message. If anyone can help I would
appreciate. I did a complete scan and no virus plus I tried sending with
McAfee AntiVirus turned off.

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account:
'pop.bellaliant.net', Server: 'smtp.bellaliant.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server
Response: '550 Message rejected', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69
Thanks

Old September 12th 10, 03:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

McAfee antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
Sometimes it takes a while before symptoms start showing up.
First of all, turn off email scanning in McAfee, although that is seldom sufficient.
Next, delete that email account (because it has been corrupted by McAfee),
restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

If the problem continues, the only way you can prove or disprove that
McAfee is the culprit is to uninstall it, followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
If you decide to replace McAfee, we can recommend a free antivirus
program which is more compatible with Windows Mail:

Instead of switching to a different antivirus, another option is to upgrade
to Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is more resistant to the adverse effects
of overly intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail

Even with WLM, you must disable email scanning in the antivirus,
for the reason explained he