Uninstalling Norton 2006

Old February 2nd 07, 06:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alfred Kaufmann

Default Uninstalling Norton 2006

I just went through a Windows XP Home - Vista Home Premium upgrade and it
went fairly smoothly with the exception of Norton Anti-virus. The
instruction said to update your anti-virus program and then disable it while
your are upgrading to Vista. (It should have said uninstall the anti-viris
program) After the Vista upgradeit complained about Norton Anti-Virus 2006
and it recommended the download of a newer 2007 version. We downloaded the
2007 version but the install kept failing. I think it is because the 2006
version would not uninstall.

I went into the control panel and tried to uninstall the 2006 version and it
almost completed but could not stop some service. Once you click cancel it
tried to undo the uninstall and it is not very successful and leaves the
system a mess.

What I need is a way to manually uninstall Norton anti-virus 2006 or a way
to just stop it from starting up so that Norton 2007 can install. Anyone?

Al

Old February 2nd 07, 06:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Max

Norton products are...ummmmm...'troublesome'.
This should help you get rid of it:
Whether you then install another version is up to you, but keep the tool
handy.

--

Maxwell Bluemeanie

Old February 2nd 07, 06:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ronnie Vernon MVP

I don't have the link handy, but go to the Symantec support website and look
for the manual uninstall instructions they have posted there.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old February 2nd 07, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Alfred

I found that link in another message.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool:

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Old February 2nd 07, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

You have to uninstall any suspect programs before you install Vista. You may
not/can not uninstall them after you do an upgrade and find out that the
program in not compatible.

Homework and research before upgrading really are necessary before you
attempt to upgrade.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Old February 2nd 07, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
jimmy fallon

Uninstalling any symantec products period will pretty much make any computer
run better. I fix this stuff for a living, and the honest truth about norton
is I spend more time fixing there software than I do getting rid of viruses.
I have been running Vista since Sept. with no anti-virus software whatsoever.
When a malicious attack happens, and it has, windows stops it in its tracks.
Will be interesting to see the first Vista virus, anyone heard about one yet?
jf

Old February 2nd 07, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Steve Cochran

First thing I do for people is remove Norton and the computers run about 30%
faster overall.

I think there was a vulnerability reported, but that was plugged.

I have this test machine and I don't have any AV on it either. It crashes a
lot, but that's just due to Windows. G

steve

Old February 2nd 07, 02:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
jimmy fallon

About the crashing, is this the final release or a beta?
Have you looked at the reliablity monitor to figure it out?
I have discovered that Media player 11 seems to be slightly problematic

And my pc, build 5744, seems to be unable to create restore points on its
own. I can create them manually. I wonder if my Raid 1 has anything to do
with it.
I haven't crashed much at all.
jf

Old February 2nd 07, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Steve Cochran

Part of it is that my heatsink on the processor got slightly off and the
clamp is jury-rigged at the moment and the other is the video card, I think
for the most part. Its just a test machine, but it would be nice if it were
stable. I can go days without a crash and then boom 5 x or more a day. The
new updates and latest drivers seem to help.