Installing and uninstalling applications

Old February 7th 07, 08:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Gerard Harris

Default Installing and uninstalling applications

I though I was getting to grips with Vistas file organisation but this one
has thrown me:-

I work for a software development company so continually install and
uninstall software as part of our testing process. I installed a new copy of
an application and everything went fine. The system allows a user to create a
new sub-folder in which a copy of data files is placed. This all worked fine.

I then uninstalled the new software and it appeared to uninstall correctly.
The folder disappeared from within program files and the shortcuts were
removed BUT when I installed the software a second time the system found the
folder I had created following the first install.

I again uninstalled the software and the application main folder was again
deleted.

I cannot see the sub-folder from explorer and icacls does not recognise it's
existence yet I can navigate to the folder from within my Microsoft
development environment.

Anyone ideas!

Thanks in advance

Gerard
Old February 7th 07, 09:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Gerard Harris

Ok, I have found the answer to this in Rick Strahls weblog from November 20th
2006 at

http://www.west-wind.com/wconnect/weblog/

The additional directory is placed in a virtualised folder along the lines:

c:\user\USER\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\APPNAME

where USER is the name of the user and APPNAME is the application name

Ricks weblog goes a lot further on this and explains about multiuser
applications etc and best practice for this sort of application.

Gerard

Old February 17th 07, 04:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Gerard

Well, that didn't take you very long.

Kudos for returning and posting the answer. This will help others who
experience the same problem.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP