WMP11 Drag art onto album icon

Old February 15th 07, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player
Extracampine

Default WMP11 Drag art onto album icon

WMP allows the user to drag an image file onto the CD icon to display as
album art in the libary. When this is done, it seems to add a small copy (or
embed in ID3 tag) to each mp3 file in the directory.

Is it possible to avoid this unnecessary activity, and to get WMP11 to read
the image file from the directory only ?

Old February 15th 07, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dale

None that I am aware of. It shouldn't be a problem adding that small,
usually under 10K in size, 200x200 pixel album art to your file. And having
it there will let you see album art in iTunes - as long as you keep your left
column sized at 200 pixels or less because if your left column is larger,
iTunes will have to stretch the miniscule 200x200 pixel image to fill the
square - and we all know how badly stretching an image sucks for quality.

Dale
--
Dale Preston
MCAD C#

Old February 16th 07, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player
Scott

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:52:13 -0000, "Extracampine"
spake thusly:

WMP allows the user to drag an image file onto the CD icon to display as
album art in the libary. When this is done, it seems to add a small copy (or
embed in ID3 tag) to each mp3 file in the directory.

Is it possible to avoid this unnecessary activity, and to get WMP11 to read
the image file from the directory only ?

Personally I'm glad that it does that. I move my files around alot
and having this embedded in the file simplifies the process of
displaying album art regardless of what computer and/or operating
system I'm on at the moment.

Nifty idea, I'd say.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old February 16th 07, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player
Extracampine

Thanks guys. I avoid all use of iTunes, and prefer to stick to one MP3
browser. Getting WMP11 alone to do what I want is hard enough. I know its
not a problem size-wise Dale, but it means that when I go to "now playing",
it shows this small 200x200 image instead of my nice hi-res one !

"Scott" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:52:13 -0000, "Extracampine"
spake thusly:

WMP allows the user to drag an image file onto the CD icon to display as
album art in the libary. When this is done, it seems to add a small copy
(or
embed in ID3 tag) to each mp3 file in the directory.

Is it possible to avoid this unnecessary activity, and to get WMP11 to
read
the image file from the directory only ?

Personally I'm glad that it does that. I move my files around alot
and having this embedded in the file simplifies the process of
displaying album art regardless of what computer and/or operating
system I'm on at the moment.

Nifty idea, I'd say.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old February 16th 07, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player
Dale

But the problem of 200x200 pixel album art when you view it in the Album Art
visualization in Now Playing will happen if you embed the art or don't embed
the art.

There is a hole in the Windows Media Player product team's attempt to
restrict you from using your own high-resolution art. I'm sure that once I
post this, it will be on the high-priority list for a patch or for WMP 11.5
or WMP 12 but for now you can work around the 200x200 pixel limitation in
WMP 11 by adding the album art using any other program such as iTunes or
even WMP 10.

If the album art already exists when WMP 11 gets its hold on your library,
it does not change the embedded art and does not resize it.

Another reason why you might consider iTunes as part of your total solution.

Dale

!

"Scott" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:52:13 -0000, "Extracampine"
spake thusly:

WMP allows the user to drag an image file onto the CD icon to display as
album art in the libary. When this is done, it seems to add a small copy
(or
embed in ID3 tag) to each mp3 file in the directory.

Is it possible to avoid this unnecessary activity, and to get WMP11 to
read
the image file from the directory only ?

Personally I'm glad that it does that. I move my files around alot
and having this embedded in the file simplifies the process of
displaying album art regardless of what computer and/or operating
system I'm on at the moment.

Nifty idea, I'd say.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com