Extending Vista partition

Old February 16th 07, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mamamegs

Default Extending Vista partition

I'm trying to extend my Vista partition but the option is greyed out,
even though there's adjoining unallocated space.
Funny thing is that I can shrink the Vista partition and extend any
other partition on the disk. How can I extend the Vista partition?
BTW, is there a third-party partition manager available for Vista?

--
Mamamegs.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
(Adam Savage)

Nederlandse nieuwsgroepen voor Vista
alt.nl.os.windows.vista
microsoft.public.nl.windows.vista

*_

Old February 16th 07, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Saucy

I suspect you are talking about either or both the boot or system
partitions[they are usually one and the same, although not necessarily] and
there are restrictions on those partitions i.e. no reformatting (from
Windows, anyway), no deleting and so on.

'Thems the breaks. Perhaps a third party software(s) can do the trick if you
want to risk it?

[Avanquest Vcom - Makers of Partition Commander]
http://www.v-com.com/

--
For email:
guidsaucy at hotmail dot com

Old February 16th 07, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Russ

I don't think you can do that if its the Boot\System partition. I was able
to do this when I had a 2gig boot partition (c:\) and Vista was installed
from there to a logical partition (d:\). I think if you convert your disk to
Dynamic it is possible to extend a Boot\System partition??.

Read this: Before you attempt to extend a simple volume, there are a few
things you need to keep in mind. A primary partition becomes a simple volume
when the disk is converted from basic to dynamic. However, if the simple
volume was created before the disk was converted to dynamic it can not be
extended. A simple volume can only be extended if the simple volume was
created after the disk was converted to dynamic. A simple volume that was
originally a primary partition can not be extended and you can not extend
the system or boot volume.

And this: If the disk does not contain boot or system partitions, you can
extend the volume into other non-boot or non-system disks, but the disk will
be converted to a dynamic disk (if it can be upgraded).

Old February 16th 07, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jane C

Is the adjoining unallocated space to the left or to the right of your Vista
partition? You can extend a partition to the right, not to the left.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)

Old February 19th 09, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Vespera[_5_]

To resize a partition with Windows Vista, follow these steps given here
http://forums.techarena.in/operating...tm#post4253969

--
Vespera
Vespera's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/vespera.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 20th 09, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
sarawu

Yes, there is a third party FREE partition software which will help you
extend the partition in Windows Vista as well as XP, or Server.

No matter whether there is some allocated space next to the partition
that you want to extend. By the way, no need to reboot the computer. It
can resize and move hard disk partition freely.

Here is the detailed step by step solution:

'Easiest and Safest Disk Partition Software for Vista 64 Bit'
(http://tinyurl.com/yknstqp)

By the way, it also supports dynamic disk and RAID.

It is also useful when you want to 'Upgrade to a Large Disk or Transfer
Data and Backup Drive'
(http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...hard-drive.htm)

--
sarawu

Old December 18th 09, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
extpress

It's good choice to use free partition manager to extend your system
partition. Of course, If your operating system is Vista, 2008 or Win7,
you could try to use Disk management to extend volume, which is easy to
use and no cost. A article 'How to extend system partition on Basic Disk
and Dynamic Disk?'
(http://www.extend-partition.com/exte...partition.html) talk
about how to extend volume in Vista and Later OS.

--
extpress