1 'free upgrade' 2 machines

Old February 20th 07, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Bufger

Default 1 'free upgrade' 2 machines

ive recently bought 2 new business laptops for my small business and plan to
use Vista. One of the laptops comes with XP Pro with a free upgrade to Vista
Business (i plan to dual boot for the benefit of old drivers for now). The
other computer runs XP pro but doesnt have any kind of free vista upgrade.

I know most companies are offering this free upgrade or at least a small fee
upgrade to its vista alternative but this company didnt for this machine. Now
the question...

Will i be able to use the free upgrade key on both machines or will i have
to buy an entirely new Vista package for the other machine? is there a way i
can do this without any further expenditure (or atleast a very small
expense)? If i have to i will buy it but i just feel a bit robbed by the
company i purchased the laptop from and i dont want to end up spending loads
more than i have to.

Thanks in advance you techie gurus :-)
Old February 20th 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Carey Frisch [MVP]

You need to purchase a new Windows Vista license (product key)
for each computer you wish to upgrade to Windows Vista.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old February 21st 07, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Donald McDaniel

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote in message
You need to purchase a new Windows Vista license (product key)
for each computer you wish to upgrade to Windows Vista.

Unless, of course, your OEM provides an Express Upgrade to Vista coupon.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bufger" wrote:

[...]

Your lowest expenditure is going to be by purchasing a System Builder Kit at
your nearest computer store. Otherwise, you will have to purchase a Vista
Upgrade kit.

Considering that an Upgrade kit for Vista Home Premium only costs $159 from
Microsoft (perhaps a little less from a third-party supplier), while a System
Builder Kit costs only $20-$30 less, you would be better off (value-wise, at
least) purchasing an Upgrade license, since you would be able to move the
upgrade license to another machine should your current one die or become
unusable for one reason or another., while you would be constrained by the
System Builder license from transferring that license to another machine if
needed.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.

Old February 21st 07, 08:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

If you want Vista on the second computer you will need to buy another Vista.

Contact the company about a Vista upgrade.
If the purchase was recent enough, you may be able to return and buy a
computer with Vista.
Or they may give you the Vista upgrade to prevent you returning the
computer.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar