Old July 2nd 07, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default a different USB question

Galen,

I've not seen a wizard for use in installing USB devices. Installing USB
devices is supposed to be no different than installing other devices, and for
those devices that are natively supported by windows, substantially
automatic, as far as I know.

However, there is more to this than just the operating system, as indicated
in my earlier comments. The operating system needs the cooperation of the
rest of the components included in a computer, including the USB device
itself; it must comply with the USB standards. Sometimes devices don't
comply sufficiently, but who knows what the issue is in your situation.

One thing you can do to try to resolve this problem, is to conduct more
involved troubleshooting. HP established the following site to assist its
customers in resolving just the kind of problem you are having. Since USB is
a universal standard, the steps involved at the site can apply to anyone.
Take a look, if you're so inclined, to see whether you can identify something
to resolve your problem, he

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...me=c008201 97

I've directed others to this site, and some have responded that they found a
solution. Let us know whether you find something.

--
freddy

"Galen Somerville" wrote:

I should have mentioned that I deleted the INFCACHE file based on your

Does Vista have a Wizard that is supposed to take over when you connect a
new USB device?

Galen

"freddy" wrote in message
Galen,

It's hard to say what the problem is. Not all computers are the same.
That
is, they may have different motherboards, chipsets, chipset drivers and
BIOSs, all of which can impact on the way USB reacts. There are other
variables as well.

One thing you can try is to delete the INFCACHE.1 file, which can get
corrupted with bad data and cause issues with identifying drivers. The
file
is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and
right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give
yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security you
know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Under that tab you can give yourself permission, because
you
are the Administrator. It does no harm to delete the file, even when it
has
nothing to do with the problem. This step sometimes works, but sometimes
not. Let us know what happens.

Vista Home should be able to recognize your USB device if other versions
of
Vista can do it, but this assumes that other variables don't cause a
problem.
--
freddy

"Galen Somerville" wrote:

I use the Jungo WinDriver to create an install for my proprietary USB
device.

This install goes beyond the usual USB driver in that it imbeds itself
into
the kernel and creates a new entry in Device Manager. This new entry is
not
under the USB headings.

In addition a driver for my app is created as an inf file and is placed
in
Windows\Inf.

This same install has been used on a Vista Business edition and works
fine.

When installing on a Vista Home edition, the Jungo driver is installed
and
the Device Manager entry appears. However when the USB device is first
turned on (connected to a USB port), nothing happens. The connect sound
is
heard and that's it.

Normally on Win98, WinXP and Vista Business, the first connection of the
device causes a search for device drivers. And, of course, it's found in
Windows\Inf. This places an item under the Jungo heading in Device
Manager.

Is Vista Home just to dense to figure it out?

All of the above is done as an Administrator.

Galen