Vista Repair Install

Old April 16th 09, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
revoddball[_2_]

Default Vista Repair Install

None of the Safe mode options work, and what has been done was a
mainboard replacement, but i made an image of the install with acronis,
so its a full clone of the drive. basically vista does not like its new
home and the repair finds nothing wrong and does nothing (looking at the
log all tests report 0x0 fro the code)

all that really needs to happen is to have the vista core components
returned to day one so i cna "clear" the drivers as it were. with XP
this is a simple repair install and reinstall of drivers. a fresh
install is not a problem, but there is so much that was installed and
set up i was hopeing to not have to a complete reinstall.

there are no restore points to recover from and if i knew a way to get
windows to drop the drivers before i imaged the drive i would in a heart
beat.

It was an old message so the email thread of this may be long missing
in that case.

Chad Harris;4364046 Wrote:
"revoddball" wrote in message

revoddball's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90407.htm
View this thread:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/705151.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

I am stuck in a similar situation, however i cannot boot the

machine
from safe mode, and the automatic repair does not recover things.

and i
cannot perform the upgrade when booting from the install media.

the only reason this is an issue is because i am trying to move form

an
old mainboard to a new mainboard with a different chipset.

I have done allot to vista but not this one.

Hi revoddball--

This thread is confusing because the only message I see here is yours
though
I've tried to download all messages, and I see a reply to Malke from
John
Barnett, but I don't see the message from Malke he's replying to nor do
find it by searching Win Live Mail.

However, I see what you wrote and I'll try to give you every possible
way
you can repair your Vista. Let me know if you have any questions.

Summarizing your problem with the only message I see you say you can't
boot
the box. You talk about Safe Mode, but I can't tell what you did at the
F8
Windows Advanced Options Menu where you can and should try at least 3
Safe
Mode Options listed below as well as Last Known Good Configuration.
You
throw in the information about your Mobo and moving from one Mobo (or
Mainboard as you call it) to another, and that raises a worry for me
that
your problem could be with chipsets, etc. and hardware. I still want to
give
you an organized description of the full panoply of software fixes for
Vista
in case it will help.

In other words, I can't be sure if your problem is hardware because
you've
mentioned switching from one Mobo to the next or software. If it's
software, my 5 approaches to the tools to fix have a high likelihood to
get
it done. I'm familiar with John Barnett's helpful site that's
graphically
user friendly for fixing a number of Windows Vista and related problems
as
well.

) First try 3 options from Startup Repair. If you have a Vista DVD
then
restart with it in the drivepress any key to boot from it and run
Startup
Repair. From Startup Repair you have 3 good tools with an excellent
chance
of fixing your system. If you don't have a Vista DVD from which to
boot to
Startup Repair, no problem, Download the .iso from the link below
and
burn it, and you'll have the Microsoft Vista Repair Disk with Startup
Repair.

Download Vista Repair Disk
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

How to Use Startup Repair from the Vista DVD or the Repair Disk you
make:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f3f351033.mspx

2) If Startup Repair does not get your Vista back, then use the 3
bootrec
commands from the command prompt available on the Statup Repair Menu:

The menu I refer to is in this set of directions with a grey
background.

http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...airstartup.htm

Those a

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuild BCD

3) If my second option doesn't work, then try System restore from the
Startup Repair list.

4) If by rare chance you have an actual Vista DVD, you can put it in,
boot
from itchoose the Upgrade Optionchoose your current broken Vista
Drive and
try to do a repair install with the Vista DVD.

5) If the above 3 tools don't work, then use the 4 tools available by
restarting your pc and tapping F8 once per second to get to the
Windows
Advanced Options Menu.

From this menu click on 3 Safe Mode links to use System Restore. Make
sure
you try all 3 if one doesn't work, because just one of them may work.
Tap F8 to Reach Windows Advanced Options Menu Pictured Below:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/v...ot-Options.jpg

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command: At the prompt you would type the command to use
for
system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If these 3 tools don't work, you have one more you can try which is
Last
Known Good Configuration.

John Barnett references an upgrade repair or inplace Install of Vista
in a
message to Malke. I can't see the message John is replying to. John
says it
took 4 hours but worked. I've done several upgrade installs using Vista
SP1,
Vista SP2, and very late builds of Windows 7 and they all work. Mine
took
about an hour and a half and I have a lot of files and folders
accumulated
from several years, but the variables there are your CPU speed, your
RAM,
and the granular nature of the files and settings and folder numbers
and
size on the particular box you're upgrading so your milage is going to
vary
there.

All I can say is that if you have the Vista DVD, or in Win 7 the Win 7
DVD, it remains a viable option. Most people don't have the DVD, (you
say
you do) but we can give theman option to burn a startup repair disc.
utility for doing just that was buried in System 32 in Vista in SP1 and
believe Vista SP2, although I formatted those two guys from my boxes
long
ago. However in Windows 7 it is where it should be on the All Programs
Menu
as I've shown by the screenshot at the link below.

Good luck and let us know if you have questions and particularly with
the
mention of chipsets and mobo moving, is your problem a hdw problem or
software problem?

CH

--
revoddball

Old April 16th 09, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris[_8_]

None of the Safe mode options work, and what has been done was a
mainboard replacement, but i made an image of the install with acronis,
so its a full clone of the drive. basically vista does not like its new
home and the repair finds nothing wrong and does nothing (looking at the
log all tests report 0x0 fro the code)

all that really needs to happen is to have the vista core components
returned to day one so i can "clear" the drivers as it were. with XP
this is a simple repair install and reinstall of drivers. a fresh
install is not a problem, but there is so much that was installed and
set up i was hoping to not have to a complete reinstall.

there are no restore points to recover from and if i knew a way to get
windows to drop the drivers before i imaged the drive i would in a heart
beat.

It was an old message so the email thread of this may be long missing
in that case.

Revoddball--

I'm not clear as to exactly what you've done at F8 or anywhere else.
The 3 safe mode options to try are

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command and there you need to use the command for system
restore which is
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

It's important to use 'em all because one might work and the others might
not.

What happened when you tried Last Known Good Configuration at F8's menu or
did you? Ifnot try it. It doesn't depend upon having a restore point--it
has its own registry snapshot.

If you imaged it with acronis or have some .tibs as a backup--what was your
result using the Acronis backup or image? You didn't say.

Let's be clear. A repair install or as it's also called an upgrade install
with a Vista DVD or an XP CD does not lose anything and it often works.
The only reason I don't get more people to use it is that 99% of people have
neither the XP CD for XP, the Vista DVD for Vista, or the Win7 DVD for Win 7
when it RTMs sometime between the fall or end of the year.

Should you want to go back to factory settings, you either use your OEM
recovery disc or partition. Do you have one of either, and if so, if that's
what you want, why haven't you done just that?

When you say "drop the drivers" you mean you think a driver may be corrupt
and you want to replace it. The way you probably correct this is to

1) Do a repair install--Do you have a Vista DVD? I'm going to guess no.
2) In that case did you do a Startup Repair using the links I gave you?
3) Did you run the bootrec.exe commands from Startup Repair's command prompt
booting off the startup repair disc? I gave you the link where you can
download the .iso and then burn it.
4) Have you tried a startup repair?
5) If you made an Acronis image what's up with using that?

Let me know if you've done these things.

Thanks,

CH