Old July 22nd 07, 11:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default Laserjet 3052 is missing

Christian,

I'm now confused. First you say you have 64 bit Vista installed, then you
say you have 32 bit Vista installed. To make sure what you have, right click
Computer (formerly My Computer) and select Properties. In the Window that
opens, you can see what Vista shows you have installed. Then, make sure your
are using the correct driver and try installing it again after removing the
drivers you installed earlier. Don't use any driver other than a HP driver,
or the driver supplied by Vista.

If Vista shows that you don't need to install drivers because the drivers
are installed automatically, then follow that advice and try installing those
drivers automatically, after removing the drivers you previously installed
and rebooting with the printer connected to a USB port.

It does no harm to try different things. That is, also try installing with
the printer while it is connected to a USB port. If that doesn't work, you
can always start over. Also, HP is your best source of information for
installing a HP printer. If you can't get the printer installed, try
contacting HP support for assistance. HP should know more than I about
installing a HP printer. Just some ideas to consider. Post back or results.
--
freddy

"Christian Møller Nielsen" wrote:

On 21 Jul., 22:14, freddy wrote:

I think it's best to start over. In Server Properties, Drivers tab, you can
highlight the installed drivers and click on the Remove button. After removing
all the drivers, reboot and then Windows should detect new hardware and
reinstall everything correctly.

Done. All drivers removed. PC rebooted.
Downloaded new driver (I use the 32 bit and not the 64 as you link to,
because it's the 32 bit VISTA I have currently installed. I swiched
from 64 to 32 because I hoped that it might solve the problems, but it
didn't and I started this tread asking for help)

Now you know where to look to determine whether the printer is installed
correctly (Control Panel, Printers). The first thing you do after installing
the printer is to print a test page.

I unplugged the USB cable. Then I run install.exe from the folder
where the drivers were unzipped. The install.ext automatically start
the driver wizard in VISTA, and it says that USB printers should not
be installed, because windows automatically install them. (
http://cmnielsen.dk/hp.jpg ---in danish, and next to the windows
wizard, the HP install wizard is shown). Anyway, I click "add local
printer" and I select USB Virtual printer Port. After some time the
wizard says it's finished and the driver was installed sucessfully.
Then I reboot and plug in the USB cable and go to controlpanel/printer
and try to print a test page. Nothing happens. It just says"error" in
the printque.

VISTA does not detect new hardware, so I guess that i remember that
the device has been plugged in earlier?

Chr.
www.cmnielsen.dk
www.shortlink.eu