Old August 1st 07, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Default Vista won't recognise memory sticks

If your problem with a USB device appear in this link get the free update
from MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

"Andifoz" wrote in message
news
Thanks.

I couldn't find usbstor.inf anywhere on the system, but found a workaround
through this forum:
forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=3&SiteID=1&PageID=3&PostID =1286482

I foiund it by googling "ubsstor.inf" There's a big discussion about the
problem plus the workaround that works. In short, click on manually
specify
location and point it to c:\windows\system32 and check the 'search
subfolders' checkbox. It doesn't work if you point it at windows/inf

"Robert N" wrote:

Try this solution !!!

USB Drive Problems with Vista
Was this post helpful ?

I believe that possibly during Vista installation, usbstor.inf (inf that
installs "USB Mass Storage Device") got corrupted or got accidentally
deleted
from c:\Windows\inf. When usbstor.inf was restored to c:\Windows\inf and
the
system was rebooted, the drives mounted normally again when the device is
plugged in.

There are two ways to get the usbstor.inf file

1. From another Vista system (copy it out of another Vista system and
copy
it directly into the C:\Windows\inf directory)

2. If you only have 1 Vista system, run Command Prompt (Run as
administrator). From C:\ do a dir usbstor.inf /s . Wherever the file is
found, copy it to the C:\Windows\inf directory if it is missing from it.
(I
remember it being in the driver store cache somewhere on the HDD)

Regards,

Rob

"Andifoz" wrote:

this looks like its for XP Uwe - before I go there, does it work for
Vista too?

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

Andifoz wrote:
Hi
I have just bought a new Vista Business laptop. Every flash card I
insert
into my USB ports does not work. It says it has to install driver
software
then searches. It then asks me to insert a disc, but as flash
drives don't
come with a disc it fails to install the flash drive and I am
unable to use
it. I have searched producer sites (eg Sandisk) to download drivers
but they
don't seem to exist as the whole point is that they are plug and
play.
Beginning to wish I could have XP back, but want to persist! Any
suggestions
on how to get memory sticks to plug and play?

Sounds like this:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_...ks_for_drivers